This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nesmy (Municipality, Vendée, France)

Last modified: 2021-07-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: nesmy |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Nesmy

The municipality of Nesmy (2,899 inhabitants in 2018; 2,462 ha) is located 10 km of La Roche-sur-Yon.

Nesmy was ruled from the 16th century by the Tinguy family. On 8 January 1794, Count René de Tinguy was defender of Noirmoutier for the Royalist party. He surrenderred to General Haxo, who promised to save the life of the insurgents. Another three Republican generals, Turreau, Prieur and Bourbotte, however, doid not promise anything. Accordingly, the lord of Nesmy was massacred along with the other insurgents.

Olivier Touzeau, 2 May 2021

Flag of Nesmy


Flag of Nesmy used in Burggen - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 2 May 2021

The flag of Nesmy used in the German twin town of Burggen (Bavaria) (photo) is blue with the municipal coat of arms and the name of the municipality in black above, and with a white bar of 1/4 of the flag's width at the hoist, bearing the French Flag subtitled "France" and a vertically divided red-white banner with the heart of Vendée, subtitled "Vendée".

The coat of arms of Nesmy is "Per pale, 1. Azure a cross patty argent, 2. Or a pot with a handle gules. A chief vert three towers or port and windows and masoned sable".
The white cross on the blue field comes from the coat of arms of the Abbey of the Holy Cross in Talmont and represents the four departmental roads that converge towards the town's center.
The red pot on the yellow field obviously evokes the famous potters and tileries of Nesmy. The green chief also comes from the arms of the Abbey of Talmont; it also symbolizes rivers Yon and Graon forming the natural borders of the town and the green landscapes. The three towers recall the three main domains located in the old parish: Nesmy-en-Grève, La Vergne, and La Domangère.
[Municipal website (archived)]

Nesmy is famous for its pottery workshop and tileries. Around the 4th century, a small Christian temple was built in place of an old Druidic shrine. The castle of Nesmy, located on a promontory, opens onto a terrace (16th century) overlooking the old castle pond (11th century). It was built directly on the rock. The latter formerly separated the stately buildings from the priory created by the monks of Talmont. From the 11th century, the priests of Nesmy were monks of the Abbey of the Holy Cross in Talmont.
In 1200 the lords of Vergne-Greffault built a castle in Vergne, a small village located 2 km from Nesmy's downtown, very close to the clay deposit. In return for the use of the kiln, the potters had to provide on a fixed date and each year, royalties in pottery, jugs, etc.

Olivier Touzeau, 2 May 2021