Last modified: 2010-07-17 by rob raeside
Keywords: sedgley | staffordshire |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Philip 'Doc' Tibbetts, 7 January 2009
For more details: http://www.sedgleylocalhistory.org.uk/na/dec2005a.html
Sedgley is located at 52'-32" North, 02'-07" West, on the western edge of the
Metropolitan Borough of Dudley, in the West Midlands, in the geographical area
known as the Black Country, which stretches over a number of local government
In pre-Norman times, the manor of Sedgley formed part of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia in the Hundred of Seisdon. It later became part of the County of Staffordshire. In 1844, the Sedgley manor consisted of nine hamlets: Sedgley, Coseley, Upper & Lower Gornal, Gospel End, Woodsetton, Cotwall End, Ettingshall and Brierley (now called Bradley). Today, it is a semi-urban sprawl, with a number of large housing estates and shopping centred on the old village centres.
Sedgley Business & Community Association organised the production of a flag for Sedgley, which was raised on the morning of Saturday 10th December 2005 by the 1st Sedgley Scout group, outside a supermarket in Dudley Street, the centre of the local shopping area.
The flag is made from forty square feet of material and is white. On the centre of the flag is a logo identical to that of the former Sedgley Urban District Council, save that it now says "SEDGLEY" in block capitals at the top of the badge. The badge is circular and contains as its central element a local landmark, rebuilt for astronomical purposes in 1846, The Beacon Tower. (This device also appears on the crest of the arms of Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council, of which Sedgley is a part.) This is surrounded by a blue annulus edged with rope and a lock barrel, as used in safe making. At the base are two pen nibs and the Stafford Knot, more commonly known as the Staffordshire Knot. The pen nibs represent the village's claim to the invention of steel nib, a prominent local industry around 1800. The flag is double-sided, that is the badge appears the correct way around on both the reverse and the obverse of the flag. It is to be flown every day, except on "special occasions", when the Union Flag will be raised instead.
(1) Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council web site, http://www.dudley.gov.uk, consulted 20 August 2006
(2) Ordnance Survey web site, http://www.ordnancesurvey.gov.uk, consulted 20 August 2006
(3) The Ancient Manor of Sedgley web site, http://www.sedgleymanor.com, consulted 20 August 2006
(4) Oxford English Dictionary
(5) Sedgley Local History Society, web site, http://www.sedgleylocalhistory.org.uk/, consulted 21 August 2006
(6) British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), Black country web site, http://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/content/articles/2005/06/13/sedgley_beacon_tower_feature.shtml, dated 17 August 2006, consulted 20 August 2006
(7) Personal observations, 1995 to date
Colin Dobson, 20 August 2006