Last modified: 2015-07-28 by rob raeside
Keywords: ministry of war munitions | munitions |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Martin Grieve
26 July 1916. The Ministry of War Munitions requested a Blue Ensign for water transport connected with the new government cupping and rolling factory at Woolston, Southampton. The Admiralty replied that they had no objection, and that no warrant was necessary. A badge based on those used on transport vehicles was submitted and approved by the Admiralty 18 November 1916.
On a blue circle surrounded by a white ring, an upright white shell having a pair of white wings sprouting from the upper of two copper bands.
The badge was too late for the 1916 edition of the Admiralty Flag Book and
inadvertently omitted from the first amendment. The ensign had been discontinued
when the second amendment was issued in 1919.
[National Archives(PRO) ADM 1/8464/183.]
David Prothero, 22 July 2003