Last modified: 2018-05-23 by rob raeside
Keywords: royal naval auxiliary ensign | blue pennant | mine | explosion | rnxs |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 17 December 2001
image located by David Prothero, 13 June 2001
image located by Peter Edwards, 5 April 2018
Based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:British_RNMWS_ensign.png
The ensign of the Royal Naval Auxiliary Service is obsolete. It was originally established in 1952 as the Royal Naval Minewatching Service. The Minewatching Service badge was the same, except that the letters in the panel below the naval crown were RNMWS instead of RNXS. The name and badge were changed in 1962, and the R.N.X.S. was disbanded in 1994.
"Blue; over wavelets barry wavy of four white and blue a mine explosion proper."
David Prothero, 13 June 2001
Estb: 1952. Locations: ". . . [UK] observation points overlooking ports and
strategic waterways, in order to report
mines dropped by aircraft."
Ensign: Rectangle 1:2. [British Blue Ensign defaced]. "The ensign of the Royal Naval Mine Watching Service was granted in 1953 by Royal_warrant. . . . A circular yellow cable surmounted by [yellow] Naval Crown and [yellow] panel inscribed RN MWS [in black] enclosing [a white] mine exploding in [a white] Heraldic Sea against a blue background . . ."
"In 1962 the service was amalgamated with the Admiralty Ferry Crews Association to become the Royal_Naval_Auxiliary_Service (R.N.X.S)."
Source: Image (by Dixon Hill) and Quotes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Naval_Minewatching_Service
Peter Edwards, 5 April 2018