Last modified: 2017-05-20 by rob raeside
Keywords: cumbria |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 9 April 2017
The University of Cumbria was formed in 2007 by the merger of St Martin’s
College, Cumbria Institute of the Arts and University of Central
Lancashire’s Cumbria sites,
Cumbria Institute of the Arts has a long history in Carlisle which began with the establishment of the Society for the Encouragement of Fine Arts in October 1822. A new Academy of Arts was established in 1823 and in 1950 was renamed as the Carlisle College of Art. The institution was officially designated a higher education institute on 1 August 1997. To reflect its academic growth and development, the institution gained approval from the privy council to change its name to Cumbria Institute of the Arts in 2002.
The Lancaster campus of the University of Cumbria started life as a barracks for the King's Own Royal Regiment and it was this association which gave the teaching college its name - St. Martin's - after a Roman soldier who converted to Christianity. In the late 1990s St. Martin's took over the management of Charlotte Mason College in Ambleside.
http://www.cumbria.ac.uk - University website
The flag of the University is white with the university's logo.
Ivan Sache, 9 April 2017