This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Eastern Yacht Club of England (United Kingdom)

Last modified: 2014-07-19 by rob raeside
Keywords: eastern yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Eastern Yacht Club

The London Sailing Club was formed in 1872. Original location not known, but in 1894 it moved to Burnham, on the River Crouch, which runs into the Thames Estuary from the north. It also changed its name, possibly at the same time, from London Sailing Club to Eastern Yacht Club. Sailing clubs usually had smaller boats than yacht clubs, and were considered, by some, to be ‘inferior’ to them. The club would like to have taken the name London Yacht Club, but that was already in use, as was Thames Yacht Club. On 12 November 1901, in a letter supported by five Members of Parliament, the club applied for the title Royal. The club had 180 members, owning 110 yachts and a balance of £1091.

The Home Office consulted the Admiralty who on 18 December 1901 wrote; “Admiralty does not consider club sufficiently important to have special ensign. This view of Their Lordships does not however imply any objection on their part to the club being allowed the prefix royal, on which point it is not customary for Admiralty to express an opinion.” Further details were requested and laid before King with no recommendation.

Admiralty, 10 January 1902. Club was recognised as a yacht club by the Yacht Racing Association and would have been a yacht club in name but that it was already taken by the Royal London Yacht Club. It compared favourably with the Royal Temple Yacht Club, and its members were all amateurs and all sailed.

Home Office Memo. As to refusal of warrant being no reason to refuse title Royal. In the case of Temple Yacht Club, the Admiralty made special unofficial recommendation that title should be granted. In the present case leave it to the Secretary of State.

17 January 1902. Refused.

27 April 1908. Eastern Yacht Club of England, Burnham-on-Crouch, re-applied for Royal title.
Governed by rules of Yacht Racing Association, 180 members, 100 yachts.
Signed by Vice-President of Yacht Racing Association, Rear-Commodore, Royal Eastern Yacht Club (Scotland), Vice-Commodore Royal Thames Yacht Club.

Burgee: pale blue with gold dolphin embowed.

Refused. No better than 1902 application.
[National Archives HO 144/634/B37144]
David Prothero, 3 July 2014


[Royal Engineers Yacht Club ensign] image by Clay Moss, 5 July 2014

Burgee: pale blue with gold dolphin embowed.