This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Royal Eastern Yacht Club (United Kingdom)

Last modified: 2015-01-17 by rob raeside
Keywords: royal eastern yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Royal Eastern Yacht Club

You can read a bit of the club's history at the Royal Forth Yacht Club's history site at The REYC was absorbed into the Royal Forth's fold in 1969.
Clay Moss, 30 June 2014

Ironically the yacht club formed at Granton, Edinburgh, was given the option of adopting the name of the club with which it eventually amalgamated. In the process of forming the club, which began in 1835, King William IV agreed to be its patron. The letter of patronage, dated 2 May 1836, stated that the club could be called the Royal Forth or the Royal Eastern. Permission to wear a distinguishing flag was given in an Admiralty Warrant of 30 June 1836. The Distinguishing Flag and Ensign were described as, “Blue, triangular, with St Andrew’s Cross (white on a red field, and an imperial crown in the centre of cross) at the head of the flag: Ensign, blue.”

Although the letter of patronage had indicated that the name of the club should be preceded by the title Royal, the King, by himself, did not have the right to grant the title, which was subject to Admiralty and Home Office approval. When the discrepancy came to light in 1909, the Scottish Office wrote to the Home Office ‘presuming that the use of the Royal Title can continue’. Retention of the title was approved in December of that year.
Blue Ensign warrant withdrawn 24 March 1928 due to lack of applications for individual yacht warrants. Only three applications had been made between 1910 and 1928.
[National Archives HO 144/1060/188870, HO 144/1060/188871]
David Prothero, 3 July 2014


image by Clay Moss, 30 June 2014

The Dumpy Book of Ships and the Sea (1957) shows the burgee blue, with a canton. The canton is red with a white saltire with a crown in the centre.
James Dignan, 12 February 2008