Last modified: 2018-12-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: dmanisi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag and arms of Dmanisi - Images by The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 17 January 2011
The townlet of Dmanisi (municipal website) is located in Kverno Kartli Region (southern
Georgia), 90 km south-west of Tbilisi.
In 1983, a lower Paleolithic site was found beneath the ruins of the medieval town of Dmanisi. In 1991, an international team excavated a mandible with fully preserved teeth, dated 1.7 million years BC and belonging to an early hominid (Gabunia & Vekua, Nature, 1995, 373: 509-512). Four more human skulls were found between 1999 and 2006 (Vekua et al., Science, 2002, 297: 85-89; Lordkipanidze et al., Anat. Rec., 2006, 288A: 1145-1157). The remains belonged to a biped with a small skull. Named Homo georgicus (Gabounia et al., Comptes Rendus Palevol., 2002, 1: 243-253), this hominid is considered as the oldest hominid to have settled in Europe (Gabunia et al., Science, 2000, 288: 1019-1025). First received with a lot of skepticism, mostly because they had been found by not too famous paleoanthropologists in a place in the middle of nowhere, the Georgian findings were subsequently reconsidered as a major discovery (Shipman, Am. Sci., 2000).
Ivan Sache, 11 December 2010
The flag and arms of Dmanisi are prescribed by Decree No. 155, adopted on 22 July 2007 by the Municipal Council.
The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 17 January 2011
The flag is horizontally divided white-red (1:2) with a red "Georgian" cross patty in the white field and a yellow lion holding a yellow spear in the red field.
The flag must have been derived from the municipal coat of arms, "Gules a spotted lion or holding a spear of the same with a banner argent a cross patty gules. The shield surmounted by a three-towered mural crown argent fimbriated sable. Under the shield a scroll argent fimbriated sable charged with the name of the town in Georgian capital letters sable".
[State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia]
Ivan Sache, 17 January 2011