This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Leipsoi (Municipality, Greece)

Λειψοί

Last modified: 2014-11-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: leipsoi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]

Flag of Leipsoi - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 3 May 2014


See also:


Presentation of Leipsoi

The municipality of Leipsoi, also known as Lipsi (Λειψώ) (790 inhabitants in 2011, 1,735 ha) is an island of the northern part of the Dodecanese.
The municipality was not modified with 2011 local government reform.

Quoting the Greeka website:

The history of Lipsi is closely related to the history of the neighboring islands of Dodecanese, and particularly Patmos. Lipsi was first inhabited in the prehistoric times by the tribe of Cares. The most flourishing period of Lipsi was in the Hellenistic times. During the Byzantine period, in the 11th century, the islands of Lipsi and Patmos were vested to Osios Christodoulos, after the decision of Emperor Alexios I Komnenos. That time, many monks from Patmos came to live on Lipsi and many new monasteries were established, among them the Monastery of Panagia Harou that is considered the protector of the island today.
The main town of Lipsi was founded in 1669 by a Cretan man named Elias. That time many Cretans left Crete, after the Ottoman occupation, and resided in Dodecanese islands. Over time, Lipsi followed the historical course of the rest of Dodecanese and were eventually united to Greece in 1948.
In the early 20th century, a large immigration wave started and many locals left Lipsi and migrated to Australia and the USA. These immigrants have always supported their homeland and financed many public works on the island, including the road network and the reconstruction of the church of Agios Ioannis Theologos. Today about 700 people live permanently in Lipsi and their main financial sources come from fishing, agriculture and tourism.

Olivier Touzeau, 3 May 2014


Flag of Leipsoi

The flag of Leipsoi (Kokkonis website) is white with the municipal emblem (image).

Olivier Touzeau & Paraskevas Renesis, 3 May 2014