This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Tapolca (Veszprem, Hungary)

Tapolca város

Last modified: 2014-04-19 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: veszprem | tapolca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




image by István Molnár, 29 May 2001



See also:


The Flag

Based on picture from the Napló daily newspaper.
István Molnár, 29 May 2001


1974-1989 Flag


image by István Molnár

Source: A magyar városok címerei (Coat of Armss of the Hungarian cities and towns); 1975.
István Molnár

Coat of Arms (1974-1991)


image from <www.tapolca.hu>, located by István Molnár


Coat of Arms (1991)


image from <www.tapolca.hu>, located by István Molnár

From <www.tapolca.hu>:
The Description of the Coat of Arms of Tapolca - There is a white (silver) coloured towered bastion on a standing red shield which has a prop with snout. There is a red lion turning right in it and a black sword with a yellow (gold) hilt is in its mouth. On the tower – and on the coat-of-arm as well – is a helm with a triple crown with the lion mentioned above as a crest.
History of the Seals and Coat-of-Arms of Tapolca (1609-1998) - The seal of Gáspár Jósa have been found in 1908 on the occasion of building of the Lessner-house. This is the oldest armoried depiction of Tapolca. In the centre of the circle seal is a one-towered church, a key is near to it and a stone-writing : “Tapolczai bíró Jósa Gáspár 1609”. It was the personnel badge of the judge and there is no any mark of the seal of the town.
There is a wax impression in the Country Archive – in the Altenburger-Réső collection – which depicts a bastion with a tower and a rearing lion turning right and keeps a sword with cross-hilt in its mouth. The same lion rises up from the crowded helmet on the top of the bastion. The text is: “Tapolcz. nemes. peste. 1794”.
This seal could be the sample for the seal of the town which is used since 1852 – according to Mr. Dénes Mayer.
Tapolca having lost its city ranging and got a large village ranking in 1898. Its seal and coat-of-arm have been changed according to this.
The draw of the coat-of-arm is published by the “Tapolczai Lapok” in 26 March, 1911. The coat-of-arm, standing on its snout is hatched by vertical lines which used for the marking of the red colour in heraldry. The tower and the lion are line diagram without colour and mark.
The text of the seal – according to the coat-of-arm – is: “Zalavármegye Tapolcza község 1908.”This coat-of-arm and seal were valid until 1949, after this time the coat-of-arm was not used.
The Presidential Council rose the town to city ranking again with its order of No. 1966/6. The town turned into industrial and bauxite mining town from a noble and trading town, and this fact is shown in the new emblem too. The new coat-of-arm was designed by László Konstantin graphic artist and it was accepted by the Executive Committee of Tapolca on its meeting of 6 December, 1974.
The new coat-of-arm shows the following motives with white (silver) colour on a red shield: a castle with towers on the bottom of the coat-of-arm, a stylised bunch of grapes above it, a cog-wheel on the left side of the coat-of-arm and two different hammers on the right side of the coat-of-arm. The gate of the castle is light blue and a white curve can be found in it referring to the cave.
The emblems of the town and the use of those were ruled by the Representative Body of Tapolca in 1991., after the political changes. The town has a new coat-of arm from that time, which is used in the current time as well.
Practically, the Representative Body of Tapolca returned to the oldest version of the coat-of-arm – which base was the seal established in 1794. - which was the base of the later versions.
István Molnár, 27 Febuary 2001