Last modified: 2020-07-30 by ian macdonald
Keywords: iraq | salahaddin university-erbil |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 26 October 2018
Salahaddin University-Erbil (SUE) is the oldest and largest public
university in Iraqi Kurdistan. Founded in 1968 in Sulaimani, the university
was moved in 1981 to Erbil and the name was changed to Salahaddin
SUE is composed of 14 Colleges and 76 Departments.
http://su.edu.krd/ - SUE website
The university's namesake is Salah ad-Din / Saladin (1137-1193), founder of the Ayyubid dynasty (1174-1260) and first Sultan of Egypt and Syria (1174-1193).
The flag of SUE is dark red with the university's emblem.
The emblem of SUE features Erbil's skyline and its two emblematic monuments, the citadel and the Mudhafaria minaret, lit by a Kurdish sun.
Erbil Citadel was inscribed in 2014 on UNESCO's World Heritage List, with the following description:
Erbil Citadel is a fortified settlement on top of an imposing ovoid-shaped tell (a hill created by many generations of people living and rebuilding on the same spot) in the Kurdistan region, Erbil Governorate. A continuous wall of tall 19th-century façades still conveys the visual impression of an impregnable fortress, dominating the city of Erbil. The citadel features a peculiar fan-like pattern dating back to Erbil’s late Ottoman phase. Written and iconographic historical records document the antiquity of settlement on the site – Erbil corresponds to ancient Arbela, an important Assyrian political and religious center – while archaeological finds and investigations suggest that the mound conceals the levels and remains of previous settlements.
The Mudhafaria minaret is a Seljuk cylindrical brick minaret sanding on an octagonal base. It was built in the lower city by Muzafferiddin Kokbori in 1190. The minaret is situated to the East of the Great Mosque which was completely destroyed. There are two separate entrances tor the two balconies through two stairs. There are two rows of surface niches with ogee arches on the base. Plasterwork of the epitaph came off later. There are glazed tile mosaic decorations in the niches with ogee arches. Decorative areas have been created by using various brick courses bordered by horizontal borders.
Ivan Sache, 26 October 2018