This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Butrimonys (Alytus, Lithuania)

Last modified: 2021-08-12 by zachary harden
Keywords: butrimonys | alytus |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




image by Virginijus Misiunas, 16 October 2009



See also:


Overview

Butrimonys town is in Alytaus district in Alytus county, Lithuania. The town has a population of 1,126, and is a center of Butrimonys Eldership, which has around 2100 inhabitants.
From <www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org>: "Butrimonys town is located 24 kilometers direction to North-east of Alytus. It is guessed that Butrimonys town was established during the rule of Lithuanian Grand Duke Vytautas the Great (on the break of Fourteen-Fifteen century). Vytautas the Great settled Tatars in the town. From the old times an important trade road from Vilnius to Punia through Trakai and Aukstadvaris went through Butrimonys. In 1699 the name of Butrimonys town was mentioned in the books for the first time.
An establishment of the site as a town was fully finished in mid-Eighteen century. Butrimonys estate belonged to nobleman Tiskevitz until 1850. The buildings and garden of estate were located near the road to Punia on the west side of the town. Development of the town was interrupted by the fire that occurred in 1787, 1835, twice in 1869 and then in 1904.
During the years Butrimonys was famous for its markets and market places, numerous small shops and manufactories.  Until tragic events of 1941 the majority of Butrimonys inhabitants were Jews. During the two decades of independent Lithuania in 1918-1940 Butrimonys was a center of a rural area, Alytus region.  There were fifty-five shops, six pubs, one tavern, ten bakeries, one lemonade manufactory, one butchery, one brick-field, and a mill in Butrimonys. During the Bolshevist occupation Butrimonys was a center of rural area and collective farm, now it is a central settlement of the district. Algirdas Jusas is an Elder of Butrimonys today.
Now the town has a Church, a school, a post office, a dispensary, a drug shop, a kindergarten, a library , a House of Culture, a bakery and seven shops. A poultry farm of Grishkoniai and a hippodrome are located 1 km away from Burtimonys."
The flag of Butrimonys is at <commons.wikimedia.org>.
Valentin Poposki, 8 March and 17 June 2007

Butrimonys - on white background with green bordure with golden squares in corners the arms of Butrimonys: triangle crossroad-square. Flag proportions 10:11, finial is golden tip. The arms shows the unique (in Lithuania) triangle Market Square of town.
Virginijus Misiunas, 16 October 2009