Last modified: 2020-10-17 by rob raeside
Keywords: costuleni | moldova |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 10 September 2020
The village of Costuleni (3,069 inhabitants in 2014; 2,911 ha) is located on the
border with Romania, here river Prut, 20 km south-east of Ungheni (the district
capital) and 100 km west of Chișinău (the national capital). The Romanian town
of Costuleni is located across the border, 10 km south-west (and, seemingly, 100
km by road since there is no bridge crossing the river in the close
The flag and arms of Costuleni are prescribed by Presidential Decree No. 1,445 issued on 30 January 2020 and published on 7 February 2020 in the Moldovan official gazette, No. 36-43, Article 29.
The coat of arms and flag of the village of Costuleni, as approved by Decision No. 06/14 issued on 12 December 2019 by the Village Council, shall be registered into the General Armorial of the Republic of Moldova.
Appendix 1. Coat of arms
Gules, a man and a woman with their hands raised, clad in national costume argent, standing on a base argent charged with a bunch of grapes leaved vert in chief a cross crosslet or. The shield surmounted by a village crown.
Appendix 2. Flag
Square red flag with a white stripe in base (1/4 of the flag's width) charged in the center with a man and a woman with their hands raised, clad in national costume argent, standing on the base and surmounted by a yellow cross crosslet.
The symbols of Costuleni, elaborated by the historian Silviu Andrieș-Tabac and the painters Iurie Caminschi and Alexei Colābneac were approved by the Village Council on 12 December 2019. The first step to the adoption of the symbols was the approval of the proposals by Decision No. 85-V.01 issued on 9 August 2019, by the National Heraldry Commission. The initiative belongs to the Costuleni-born historian Corneliu Prepeliță, who first completed the Heraldic Questionnaire, then began another stage in establishing the components of the coat of arms.
The pair of dancers with their hands raised symbolizes the artistic tradition of the village, Sārba Costulenilor, a dance known throughout Moldova, and also the tradition of open-air theater, well preserved and represented in the village, as well as traditional folk bands and other artistic customs.
The cross crosslet recalls that the feudal domain of Costuleni, at least since 1605, belonged to the Church, its first owner being the Metropolitan Church of Suceava. The document dated 12 November 1605 states that beforehand Costuleni belonged to the Prince's domain, therefore the field gules as the traditional color of the rulers. In the 1817 census, Costuleni estate was listed among the possessions of the Metropolitan Church of Iași. In the village's northern end of the village, on the bank of a large spring, monks managed the Mitoc farm, which was merged into the village in 1861.
The white base represents river Prut. The bunch of grapes recalls wine-growing as a specificity of the village. During the Soviet period, vineyards were exploited by the Costuleni sovkhoze factory.
Unghiul unofficial portal, 21 February 2020
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2020