Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: hoogeloon c.a. |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 27 May 1986
Old parading flag: rectangular, consisting of 6 white and 6 red blocks
with in top hoist the municipal arms on a blue field of 1/4 of the total
The flag was never officially adopted but was used by the municipality of Hoogeloon c.a. (used as parading flag in 1935).
Visser has an image with 10 red and 10 white blocks, but that doesn't fulfill the description, wherefore I made it plain square.
Arms: azure a lion rampant or armed gules; the shield surmounted by
a crown or of three leaves and two pearls.
Granted 4 Mar 1958
note: the municipality had this arms already since 28 Sep 1819 without blazoning and without a crown, and the lion all or. In 1989 it was granted a new coat of arms with the (for Brabant) usual saint (Severinus) holding the shield. See Ralf Hartemink's site.
On the Black Mountain (Zwartberg) in Hoogeloon remains dating from the Bronze Age have been found, while Casteren (from Latin: castra) produced Roman items. Hapert was first mentioned in 710 as "Heopardum". Hoogeloon is derived from "loo" = open space in a forest, on a high place. The three villages formed a free lordship, later with a court of aldermen (schepenbank).
A popular custom was "losschieten van de bruid" (to shoot the bride free) - the evening before the couple would be registered young men from the village placed a milkchurn in the neighbourhood, made a small hole in the bottom, put some carbide in the churn with some water (piss is even better, said Yt Pel) and put a lid on the churn. By holding a fuse against the bottom the lid would be forced away with a big bang. The bride had to pay the culprits a fee in beer.(we used to do this in the 1950's, and it seems to have been revived lately, especially on New Year's eve).
Source: DerkWillem Visser: Gemeentevlaggen en wapens Koninkrijk der
Prisma toeristengids Zeeland-Brabant-Limburg, by P.G. Bins, 1965.
Jarig Bakker, 15 May 2005