This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Serooskerke (The Netherlands)
Schouwen-Duiveland municipality, Zeeland province
Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: serooskerke |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 30 Sep 2004
adopted: ? design: a Zierikzeeër
Serooskerke is a village in the municipality of Schouwen-Duiveland in Zeeland
province. It was an independent municipality until 1961, when it merged
with Westerschouwen. On 1 Jan 1997 it became
part of Schouwen-Duiveland.
It has a flag since ? (the old board of the village society has disappeared
and the new one has forgotten). The flag was made
spontaneously by order of the old board by an inhabitant of Zierikzee.
There are two flags in existence. They measure 160 x 95 cm. The image
is the coat of arms of the Van Tuijl van Serooskerke family, the former
manor lords of Serooskerke. They are not the original colors. On the flag
the field is blue and the dog's heads (beagles) golden.
An image of the flag can be seen at this
website (photo # 22a).
Source: letter by Ms. Janny Bom
Serooskerke's name was derived from 's Heer Aldereskerke (church
of Lord Alderes), colloquially known as Sraaskerke. Nickname: "Dubbelhartigen"
- double-dealers, people talking with two mouths.
Jarig Bakker, 30 Sep 2004
Serooskerke Coat of Arms
by Jarig Bakker, 30 Sep 2004, after imnage in the Koffie Hag-Album
Granted 31 Jul 1817
Description: azure, three dog's heads or.
The older name of this municipality was Serooskerke, Rijnsburg en Hondegems
ambacht; later it became Serooskerke - Schouwen. This coat of arms is identical
to the arms of Serooskerke on Walcheren (now part of Veere). The name "Hondegems
ambacht" may have inspired these arms ("hond" = dog).
Source: Sierksma's De Gemeentewapens van Nederland, 1960.
Van der Laars (author of the Koffie Hag Album, 1924) writes that the
dog's heads are from the arms of the van Tuyll van Serooskerke family.