Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: sochaczew |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Chrystian Kretowicz, 1 Feb 2009
adopted 3 May 2002; design: Alfred Znamierowski
In the vicinity of the county the dramatic Battle of Bzura took place in September 1939 - the biggest battle of that campaign and the last major military encounter with the participation of horse cavalry (sabers against tanks). The battle was almost won by the Polish side, but finally lost due to the lack of air support and arrival of German panzer reinforcements. It was bloody - The Poles lost 18 000 and the Germans 8 000 soldiers.
Arms and flag adopted on May 3, 2002.
The symbols were designed by Mr.Alfred Znamierowski, but rejected by his co-members of the Heraldic Commission. The bone of contention was the wavy ribbon representing the river. Other members of the Commission suggested the defensive wall and towers from medieval seal of the town of Sochaczew - feature so common on municipal Arms in Poland.
The County Council likes the representation of water and refuses to change the symbols, although, some discussion of "it's time for a change" was initiated in 2007, so far without any action taken.
Arms: on a red, Spanish-style shield a white eagle facing to the right above a wavy silver ribbon representing the River Bzura. Below it two crossed silver swords with golden handles representing the battle - the Battle of Bzura of September 1939.
Flag: a rectangle composed of two equal vertical fields: white and red.
At the hoist, on the white field the Arms are placed."
Chrystian Kretowicz, 1 Feb 2009