Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: region |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Let's enter a new territory in Poland - regional flags. First one to
report to you is the flag of Zagłębie Dąbrowskie (literally 'Coal Fields
Zagłębie Dąbrowskie is a historical and geographical region in southern Poland. It forms a part of the Lesser Poland, though it shares many cultural and historical
features of the neighboring Silesia.
Zagłębie is a highly industrialised and densely populated region of southern Lesser Poland, bordering Silesia through the Brynica river (running between Sosnowiec and Katowice). Apart from the three main cultural and industrial centres of the area (Dąbrowa Górnicza,Sosnowiec and Będzin), the region also includes a number of smaller cities. Among them are Czeladź, Wojkowice, Siewierz and Sławków, and also smaller villages: Psary, Ożarowice, Bobrowniki and Mierzęcice.
Since the borders of the region were never clearly defined, other towns are also sometimes listed among the cities of Zagłębie. These are: Zawiercie, Poręba, Włodowice, Kroczyce, Ogrodzieniec, Łazy, Jaworzno and Olkusz.
Until the 19th century, Zagłębie shared the fate of the rest of the
region of Lesser Poland, with the exception of the Duchy of Siewierz, which
between 1177 and 1443 was under Silesian rule, on 30 December 1443 incorporated
back into Lesser Poland as Polish fief and a property of the bishops of
Kraków. After the Partitions of Poland, in 1795 Zagłębie was briefly annexed
to the Prussian province of New Silesia. In 1807 however, during the Napoleonic
Wars and the Polish-
-Austrian War, it was liberated and became part of the Duchy of Warsaw.
After the Congress of Vienna, along with the greater part of the Duchy,
Zagłębie became part of the Russian-controlled Kingdom of Poland. Simultaneously,
Upper Silesia and Zagłębie, large deposits of coal were discovered and with the opening of the Warsaw-Vienna railroad in 1848, the region became the most industrialised part of the Kingdom. Despite developing simultaneously with adjacent Silesia, the region remained outside of German influence and remained largely Polish, a fact that is still a source of a certain animosity between Silesians and Zagłębiacy, natives of Zag??bie.
Zagłębie is sometimes called "Red", because of its Socialist or Communist traditions (it was one of main centers of the Revolution in the Kingdom of Poland (1905-1907)), while Silesia is more conservative and religious.
Zagłębie people speak standard Polish, Silesians speak Silesian.
After Poland regained her independence in 1918, Zagłębie became part of the Kielce Voivodship, while the formerly German-held Upper Silesia became part of a separate Silesian Voivodship. After WWII most of Zagłębie was attached to the Silesian Voivodship, later Katowice Voivodship and recently Silesian Voivodship. (wiki)
Arms are presenting a stylized white (silver) royal eagle placed on
the shield divided horizontally.
Upper field is red corresponding to the longstanding cultural, economic and administrative ties of the region to the historic Land of Kraków.
The color red signifies also the regional belonging (cultural and ethnographic) of Zaglebie Dabrowskie to the Western Little Poland (Małopolska).
Color red represents also the industrialized part of the region.
Lower field is green and is symbolizing the historic borderlands and long tradition of multiculturalism, openness and tolerance.
Also, the green represents the agricultural part of the region.
Flag: composed of three equal horizontal bands of red, green and white
in the ratio 5:8.
The ceremonial version (standard) displays the Arms in the center of the flag, extending over all three bands of it.
Another region - Kurpie - announced a competition for the design of
Arms and flag, so soon we will have even more regional veillums.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 28 Mar 2009
Ziemia dobrzyńska - Land of Dobrzyń; old German name: Dobriner Land
"Dobrzyń Land (ziemia dobrzyńska) is a territory of historical interest surrounding present day Dobrzyń nad Wisłą in Poland.
The Order of Dobrin received the territory as a base in 1228 and was later absorbed into the Teutonic Knights. The territory was relinquished to the Kingdom of Poland in the Treaty of Kalisz of 1343. The Knights regained control, but after the Peace of Thorn (1411) had to return it again.
As with most of West Prussia, the territory changed possession from Poland to Prussia in 1793, but in 1815, became part of Russia. Then after World War I from
Russia to the re-established independent Poland, then to Nazi Germany in World War II, and finally back to Poland.
The land is on the eastern shore of the Vistula River and ends south of the Drwęca at Chełmno Land. The land is approximately composed of the powiats of Lipno and Rypin within the Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodship." (wikipedia)
Area: 3850,4 sq.km (1,19% of Poland's territory); Population: 353 000.
Largest cities: Rypin, Lipno, Golub-Dobrzyń, Dobrzyń nad Wisłą, Skępe, Górzno.
The Land of Dobrzyń has a well established flag and Coat of Arms.
They don't elaborate much about it, but show it in drawings and photos a lot..
Chrystian Kretowicz, 8 Jul 2009
The former sent image was a wrong re-construction of the flag of Ziemia
Dobrzynska. This image show a yellow cloth with the modern Coat of Arms of the Lipno
The real Coat of Arms was designed in an older style. I am sending a photo and the corrected gifs of the correct flag.
Source: this webpage.
Jens Pattke, 11 Jul 2009