This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ada (Municipality, Serbia)


Last modified: 2012-12-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: ada | pioneer |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Ada]

Flag of Ada - Image by Ivan Sarajčić, 30 March 2010

See also:

Presentation of Ada

The municipality of Ada (16,785 inhabitants in 2011; 22,860 ha; website) is located in the central part of the Eastern Bačka, on the right bank of river Tisa. The municipality is made of the town of Ada proper (9,464 inh.), of the town of Mol (Hungarian, Mohol: 6,786 inh.), and of the villages of Utrine (Hungarian, Törökfalu; 1,038 inh.), Obornjača (Hungarian, Völgypart; 389 inh.) and Sterijino (Hungarian, Valkaisor; 234 inh.).

The settlement of Petrina is considered as the ancestor of the present town of Ada. Later on the name was changed to Sziget, which means "an island" in Hungarian. On a map from 1723, the town is already mentioned as Ada Hatta. Ada is a word of Turkish origin also meaning "an island". In Serbian (and Croatian for that matter) the word specifically means "a river island", as opposed to "a sea island". In Vojvodina, large rivers form quite a number of islands, many of whom include the term ada in their name; consequently there are some settlements retaining the name as well, Ada being the largest of them.
Ada was proclaimed a Market Town and granted its first coat of arms in 1836. Part of the Bács-Bodrog County of the Kingdom of Hungary until 1919, the town was incorporated in 1920 into the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes by the Treaty of Trianon. Occupied and annexed again by Hungary in 1941, Ada was reallocated in 1947 to Yugoslavia by the Treaty of Paris.

Ivan Sache, Željko Heimer and István Molnár, 26 November 2004

Flag of Ada

The symbols of Ada are described in Article 6 of the Town Statutes Statut Opštine Ada (text), last updated on 30 September 2008, as follows:

The Municipality shall have a coat of arms and a flag highlighting its historical and cultural heritage, as well as its economical and geographical features.
The coat of arms is made of a silver shield charged with a pioneer with brown hair and moustache, clad with a blue coat, red trousers and yellow boots, holding in his right hand a light-coloured steel sword and in his left hand a brown-grey ploughshare. The shield is surmounted with a golden yellow crown whose tips are decorated with turquoise round gems.
The flag [photo, photo] charged in the middle with the municipal coat of arms, is designed horizontally, divided in six equal stripes, blue-white-red-red- white and green.
The use of the coat of arms and flag of the Municipality shall be regulated by a Decision of the Municipality Assembly.

An unofficial version of the flag (photo, photo), is charged with the place's name, in Cyrillic and Latin alphabet, written in black letters below the coat of arms, in the white stripe.

Ivan Sache & Ivan Sarajčić, 6 September 2012