Last modified: 2015-07-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: palilula | belgrade | pipe (yellow) | church (yellow) | pavilion (yellow) | key (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Palilula - Image by Ivan Sarajčić, 4 August 2006
The municipality of Palilula has about 180000 inhabitants; it is the
largest municipality (447 sq.km) of the town of Belgrade.
In Ottoman times it was forbidden to smoke inside the city walls of Belgrade. Smokers had to go outside walls to smoke tobacco, to the place now called Palilula. The Serbian verb paliti means "to set fire" while lula means "pipe".
Ivan Sarajčić, 4 August 2006
On 7 June 2006, the Municipal Council of Palilula adopted the Decision on the use of symbols: coat of arms (lesser, middle, greater) and flag. The square shape of the flag is usual for Serbian municipalities.
Lesser coat of arms of Palilula - Image by Milan Heldrih, 30 April 2005
The flag is a banner of the lesser arms. The flag contains a golden pipe on a red field, the golden silhouette of St. Mark church (one of Belgrade's landmarks) on a blue field, and a stylized golden tent with a key and inscription "1830" on a white field. This year recalls Miloš Obrenović receiving Sultan's Hatisherif, an act which proclaimed Serbia as a Principality with some autonomy from the Ottoman rule. That happened in Taš Majdan, a place located in the municipal territory of Palilula.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sarajčić & Valentin Poposki, 4 August 2006
The coat of arms (of quasi-heraldic design) of Palilula is:
Per fess chief per pale, 1st gules a pipe or, 2nd azure a church or and 3rd argent a pavilion with a key or inscribed in Cyrillic Palilula - Beograd.
Milan Heldrih & Željko Heimer, 30 April 2005