Last modified: 2018-04-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: onikişubat |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Onikişubat, horizontal and vertical versions - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 7 January 2018
The former district municipality of Kahramanmaraş was split in 2014 into the two district municipalities of Dulkadiroğlu and Onikişubat.
The flag of Onikişubat, used horizontally (photo, photo) or vertically (photo), is white with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
Tomislav Šipek, 7 January 2018
Former flag of Onikişubat
Former flag of Onikişubat - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 31 March 2015
The former flag of Onikişubat (photo) was white with a very similar emblem.
Tomislav Šipek, 31 March 2015
Temporary flag of Onikişubat
Temporary flag of Onikişubat - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 7 January 2018
Before the adoption of its first emblem, Onikişubat used a white flag with the municipality's name written in black capital letters (<photo).
Tomislav Šipek, 7 January 2018
Former flags of Kahramanmaraş, most recent (left) and former (right) versions - Images by Jens Pattke, 7 December 2012
The flag of Kahramanmaraş (photo, photo) was white with the municipality's emblem in the middle. "Belediyesi" means " Municipality".
The former flag of Kahramanmaraş (photo) was white with the municipality's former emblem.
The emblem features the Medal of Independence of the Turkish Republic (Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Istiklal Madalyası), awarded on 7 April 1925 to Maraş Province, subsequently renamed to Kahramanmaraş (Heroic Maraş). The medal, also featured on the university emblem, commemorates the first major battle of the Turkish War of Independence, fought in Maraş from 21 January to 13 February 1920. The French troops stationed in Maraş eventually retreated from the town, abandoning 10,000 Armenian refugees who were massacred by the Turkish troops.
Oval gilt bronze medal with loop for ribbon suspension; the face with a
panorama of Ankara, a radiant rising sun beyond, a globe surrounded by working implements and an ox cart and drover in the foreground, dated
‘١٣٣٦’ (AH 1336 = AD 1918); the reverse with a relief map of Turkey, a five-pointed radiant star at Ankara with lines radiating to the major
Turkish cities, a plaque below dated ‘١٣٣٨’ (AH 1338 = AD 1920), all within a crescent with a five-pointed star above, a decorative scroll
below; on trifocals red ribbon for military recipients.
The new Turkish Assembly at Ankara approved the medal on 29 November 1920 and Law 66 was published on 4 April 1921, instituting the medal and suppressing all Ottoman decorations. The defeat of the Central Powers in World War I, of which the Ottoman Empire was one, hastened its final disintegration. A nationalist uprising led by Mustafa Kemal Pasha (Atatürk) fought against the terms of the Treaty of Sèvres which included the Greek occupation of İzmir, resulting in the Turkish War of Independence. On 23 April 1920 the new National Assembly met at Ankara for the first time and, following victory in two years of war with Greek and Allied forces and the remnants of Ottoman power, the Assembly abolished the Sultanate on 11 November 1922 and declared the Turkish Republic (Türkiye Cumhuriyeti), subsequently recognized by the Treaty of Lausanne, 24 July 1923.
[Medal-medaille online shop]
Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 19 January 2018