This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Khmel'nyts'kiy (Khmel'nyts'kiy, Ukraine)

Last modified: 2023-01-28 by martin karner
Keywords: khmelnytskiy | arrow | proskurov |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


image from Wikipedia

See also:

Other sites:

The Gonfalon

From the site of Ukrainian Heraldry:
"In December 1997 the session of the town council approved the gonfalon: A square canvas In a dark blue field there is a yellow sun with a dark blue circle in the middle, on which there are three crosslike yellow arrows. Four sides of the gonfalon have yellow edging with width of 3/100 of width of the gonfalon. The author is V.Ilyins'kyi."
Phil Nelson, 7 July 1999

At <> you may read about the Project of "Flag and Coat of Arms Regulations". The flag-image is differs from the description in the Project which says: "The flag of Khmelnitsky town is a rectangular banner, which consists of two horizonthal stripes. Ratio - 2:2,8. Upper stripe is blue, bottom stripe is yellow. There are municipal Coat of Arms on a hoist part of the blue stripe. Height of the Coat of Arms equal to 2/3 of blue stripe height. ... "
The flag was adopted on October, 29,1997. Desigher of the flag - V. Ilyinsky, teacher of history and theory of culture. I think that the "Project of Regulations" was not adopted...
Victor Lomantsov, 23 July 2000

Coat of Arms

image from the site of Ukrainian Heraldry

From the site of Ukrainian Heraldry:
"On the 27th of September 1990 town council session of Khmel'nyts'kyi confirmed a modern Coat of Arms - in an azure field you see three or arrows in cross. The central arrow laid with its point down, the two others - with their points up."
Phil Nelson, 7 July 1999

The Coat of Arms was adopted on September, 27, 1990. Similar Coat of Arms were granted to Proskurov (former name of Khmelnitsky) by russian empress Ekatherina II in 1796. Three crossed arrows were on the Coat of Arms of family of Zamojsky, they operated in Proskurov very long time (since 1550 to XVIII c.).
Victor Lomantsov, 23 July 2000

Note: The Coat of Arms should be at the same colors as the flag. For the right colors see <>, located by Victor Lomantsov, 23 July 2000

The City

From the site of Ukrainian Heraldry:
"Capital of Khmelnytskyi Oblast. It is situated on the banks of the Pivdennyi Bug and the Ploska. The first written mentions refer to the XV century. The origin of the first name of the town Ploskyriv comes from the word "rov" meaning a ravine and the name of the river Ploska. Since the XVIII century the town was called Proskuriv. It was renamed in 1954."
Phil Nelson, 7 July 1999