Last modified: 2018-07-31 by rick wyatt
Keywords: lancaster county | nebraska |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman, 11 June 2000
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Lancaster County:
http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/both/glance1.htm: In 1983, County Commissioner Jan Gauger suggested that a contest be held to design a county flag.
In an unanimous decision, the County Board selected a flag designed by Doug Daharsh. The green flag includes the County-City Building and two horse-drawn plows at the center. It joined four other flags displayed on poles at the east entrance of the Hall of Justice.
Dov Gutterman, 11 June 2000
Lancaster County (261,545 inhabitants; 839 sq. mi., is made of the Towns and Cities of Bennet, Davey, Denton, Firth, Hickman, Hallam, Lincoln, Malcolm, Panama, Raymond, Roca, Sprague and Waverly) [www.lincoln.ne.gov/both/glance1.htm]:
"The first move for the organization of Lancaster County occurred in the fall of 1859, when a public meeting was held under the "Great Elm" which stood on the east bank of Salt Creek, near what is now the northwest corner of the Burlington depot grounds in Lincoln. Festus Reed was elected chairman, and gave a speech to the people attending the meeting extolling the further greatness of the state and the county. Three men were appointed to select a location for the county seat, and they chose the present site of Lincoln. The county was given the name of Lancaster. In 1863, a part of Clay County (which had been eliminated) was added to Lancaster County, making it the size it is today. Lancaster County is 36 miles in length and 24 miles in width, 864 square miles."
Ivan Sache, 3 March 2007
image located by Paul Bassinson, 24 July 2018
Paul Bassinson, 24 July 2018