This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Saginaw Bay / Bay City Yacht Club (U.S.)

Michigan

Last modified: 2015-08-29 by rick wyatt
Keywords: saginaw bay yacht club | bay city yacht club | united states yacht club | michigan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:


Bay City Boat and Fishing Club

[Bay City Boat Club ] image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 13 June 2015

The Bay City Boat and Fishing Club was organised in 1894 as the first boat club on the Saginaw River. On 1 January 1895, the club opened its clubhouse: Foot of Scheurmann Street, Essexville. I was unable to find whether a burgee went with that very first name; by 1897, however, the club apparently had changed its name, as it was now referred to as the "Bay City Boat Club".

By 1904 the club moved their house to a new location. Literally: In the Winter they moved the original clubhouse over the ice to the new site, and afterwards built a new club house attached to it.

Lloyd's Register of American Yachts, 1917, pictures the burgee of the Bay City Boat Club as: A very dark blue broad pennant with a sharp split, with white flywise edges, and with in white the text "B.C.B.C.", slightly lower at the hoist.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 13 June 2015

[Bay City Boat Club ] image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 13 June 2015

Lloyd's Register of American Yachts, 1929, pictures a slightly different burgee, for the club, which is then named "Bay City Yacht Club": A very dark blue broad pennant with a sharp split, with off-set white flywise edges, and with in white the text "BCYC.", shrinking towards the fly.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 13 June 2015


Saginaw Bay Yacht Club

[Saginaw Bay Boat Club ] image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 13 June 2015

Lloyd's Register of American Yachts, 1932, pictures the burgee slightly different again, while in the three year since 1929 the club has apparently been renamed to the "Saginaw Bay Yacht Club": A blue broad pennant with a sharp split, with off-set white flywise edges, and with in white the text "SBYC.", shrinking towards the fly.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 13 June 2015

[Saginaw Bay Boat Club ] image by Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 13 June 2015

Starting in the 1950s, the site has been regularly improved, beginning with the digging of a boat basin and next the construction of a new clubhouse. Improvements seem to go on to this day.

The club's website pictures the burgee of the Saginaw Bay City Club differently again: A blue broad pennant with a sharp split, with double flywise edges, red outer edges and white inner edges, and with in white the text "SBYC.", shrinking towards the fly.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 13 June 2015