This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Venezuela - Educational Institutions Part III

Last modified: 2019-05-24 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: venezuela | university |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




See also:

Other Sites:


Universidad Panamericana del Puerto

image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2019

 Universidad Panamericana del Puerto (UNIPAP) was established in Puerto Cabello (Carabobo State) by Resolution No. 152, adopted on 28 October 2003. UNIPAP is composed of 3 Faculties: Engineering, Economical and Social Sciences, Education and Humanities.

The flag of UNIPAP was approved during the Ordinary Session No. 115 of the University Council, held on 7 July 2009. The flag is horizontally divided blue-white-black (c. 2:1:2) with a white triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the university's emblem.
http://www.unipap.edu.ve/simbolos.html, UNIPAP website
Ivan Sache, 9 January 2019


Universidad Pedagógica Experimental Libertador

image by Ivan Sache, 10 August 2002

Universidad Pedagógica Experimental Libertador - The emblem of the University was designed by the artist Alvaro Sotillo. It is an abstract representation of nine books. Eight of these books represent the eight Institutes which constitute the University, and the ninth book represents the Rectoral Seat. In 1989, the original grey colour of the books was changed to blue.
The flag has a white field with the emblem of the University in upper left part and the name of the University beside it. In the lower part of the flag, eight thin green stripes represent the eight Institutes of the University. Green is the colour traditionally associated to the Doctoral stuides in the UPEL.
UPEL was created by Decree #2176 of 28 July 1983 as an hommage to Simon bolivar for the bicentenary of his birth.
Source: www.upel.edu.ve.
Ivan Sache, 10 August 2002


Universidad Simón Bolívar

image by Raul Orta, 26 July 2002

image by Raul Orta, 26 July 2002
The Emblem

Based on www.usb.ve.
Dov Gutterman, 22 July 2002

The Flag - Attributes - The Simon Bolivar University is an educative entity located on Sartenejas Valley, Sucre Municipality of Miranda State, very near Caracas. It flag consists of a yellow field of approximated ratio 2:3 or square and half of length, with the Institute Official Emblem in black on the center.
Historical Synthesis - The SBU flag' design was made on 1972, when a group of professors  were dedicated to the work to conceive the elements for bring the sport delegations with an emblem. In that opportunity, it was decided by a yellow rectangle with the Institute's Emblem in black on the center and underneath this one the abbreviations USB (Universidad Simon Bolivar in Spanish). Later, on June 1987, it was decided the elimination of the abbreviations. The official flag of Simon Bolivar University is hoisted near to the National Flag of Venezuela, in National and Institutional holidays, in the Benjamín Mendoza Hall:  the most important of the campus, in sport delegations, student groupings and the Firemen Body of the Institution.
The Emblem - Attributes and Semiology - The figure is made up with eight semicircular lines and a small rectangle placed on the center forming a structure similar to a rounded pyramid, whose meaning is a porch in which it's made the unity of diverse knowledge and its projection towards the future.
Historical Synthesis - From the existing confluence between the name "Simon Bolivar University" and its motto "the University of the Future", the designer Gerd Leufert made the design of the Emblem being inspired by the photographic reproduction of an electrical circuit.
Source: Simon Bolivar University Web Site www.usb.ve.
Raul Orta, 26 July 2002

The logo of the University was designed by Gerd Leufert. It is based on the photographical representation of an electrical circuit. The logo is made of eight semi-circular lines arranged around a small rectangle. The logo constitutes a portico which symbolizes the unity of the different sciences and their projection into the future. The flag of the University was designed in 1972 by a group of professors in order to give the sport team a flag. The first flag was yellow with the logo of the University and its acronym USB. The acronym was suppressed from the flag in June 1987. The flag of the University is hoisted side by side with the Venezuelian national flag for the national and institutional days, in the Benjamin Mendoza Hall, by the sport teams, student associations and the fire brigade of the University.
Ivan Sache, 10 August 2002


Universidad Zulia

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

"Universidad del Zulia" (LUZ - "light" in Spanish) traces back to "Colegio Nacional de Maracaibo", founded on 2 March 1837 by National Decree and inaugurated on 19 April 1839. Closed in 1848 because of the political unrest, the "Colegio" resumed its activity on 13 January 1850 with two classes in Latin Grammar and Spanish Grammar; classes in Law, Medicine, Navigation (incl. Cosmography, Trigonometry, Mathematics, Draftmanship and Philosophy) were added in 1854. In 1864, the Federal Revolution transformed the Provinces into States; the Maracaibo Province became the Zulia State and "Colegio Nacional de Maracaibo" was renamed "Colegio Nacional del Zulia". On 17 September 1882, the national colleges became federal colleges, so that "Colegio Nacional del Zulia" was renamed "Colegio Federal del Zulia".
Following efficient lobbying by the Zulia Representatives Rafael López Baralt, Francisco Eugenio Bustamante and Antonio Aranguren, the National Congress upgraded on 29 May 1891 the "Colegio Federal del Zulia" to the "University del Zulia", with a full university status. The new university was inaugurated on 11 September 1894. In 1897-1900, the university was directed by Francisco Eugenio Bustamante, then considered as the best doctor and surgeon in the country, also a liberal politician and a positivist scientist.
In 1904, the university was divided into the four Faculties of Political Sciences, Medical Sciences, Pharmacy and Ecclesiastic Sciences. The first Gilded Age of the university ended the same year, when the university was closed by order of President Cipriano Castro and replaced by the "Instituto Náutico". Castro believed that the two universities of Caracas and Mérida were enough for training doctors,
lawyers, engineers and theologians, while technical institutes were required to train the other students.
Oil was found in 1922 in Zulia, so that it replaced in 1926 coffee as the first source of income in the state. A College of Political Sciences was founded in Maracaibo on 13 August 1930 by National Decree. Its director, Jesús Enrique Lossada, campaigned for the reopening of the University, which he eventually obtained by a Decree of the Government Revolutionary Junta, signed on 15 June 1946. On 5 August 1946, Lossada was appointed Rector of LUZ, which then included the three Faculties of Medicine, Engineering and Law.
Today, LUZ caters 51,600 students and 4,000 professors, spread over the three campuses of Maracaibo, Cabimas and Punto Fijo. LUZ is organized in the 11 Faculties of Agronomy, Architecture and Design, Economic and Social Sciences, Law and Political Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, Experimental Art, Experimental Sciences, Humanities and Education, Engineering, Medicine and Odontology).
Source: Official website

The flag of LUZ is white with the coat of arms of the University in the upper left corner and the letters "LUZ" in the lower right corner. White represents the combination of the seven colors formed by light (Spanish, "luz") broken up by a prism.
The coat of arms of LUZ was designed by Jesús Enrique Lossada, the first director of LUZ after its reopening in 1946 - and, most probably, the inventor of the "LUZ" abbreviation. The shield is elliptic, with a field deep sky blue totally covered by small white clouds stretched in the horizontal direction. The elements of the shield concur to symbolize that, in spite of 42 years of closure and darkness, light ("luz"), truth and knowledge shine again. The shield has two inscriptions indicating the dates of opening and reopening, and the Latin motto "POST NUBILA PHOEBUS" (After the clouds, the sun - here personalized by the Latin name of God Apollo).
Source: Official website

LUZ maintains a "bosque de banderas", that is a "forest of flags", made, from viewer's left to right, of the following flags:

1. Venezuela
2. Zulia
3. LUZ

4. Law and Political Sciences (red)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

5. Medicine (light yellow)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

6. Engineering (blue)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

7. Odontology (purple)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

8. Economic and Social Sciences (fuchsia)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

9. Humanities and Education (gray)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

10. Agronomy (green)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

11. Architecture (light blue)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

12. Veterinary Sciences (dark yellow)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

13. Experimental Sciences (beige)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

14. Punto Fijo seat (water green)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

15. Cabimas seat (salmon)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

16. Experimental Arts (red wine)

image by Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011

Sources: Official leaflet
Photo of the "bosque de banderas", in reverse order (that is, rear view) - as expected, the national flag is hoisted higher than the other flags.
Ivan Sache, 29 July 2011


Student Bolivarian Societies

1) image by Guillermo T. Aveledo , 1 March 2000

2) image by Guillermo T. Aveledo , 1 March 2000

Sociedades Bolivarianas Estudiantiles (Student Bolivarian Societies) - The SBCs are societies formed throughout Venezuela's schools in order to honour and cherish the thought and work of Venezuela's Liberator Simon Bolivar, who led (or intervened protagonlly in) the wars of independance of six countries (or countries to be) from Spanish rule: these countries are today's Panama, Colombia, Venezuela (his birthplace), Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru. These are the "bolivarian" countries (only Venezuela has constitutionally declared itself a "bolivarian" republic), whose flag colours serve as the colours of the Student Bolivarian Societies flags: five stripes of (from top to bottom or vice versa) yellow, blue, red, white and green, with a yellow "B" on a red canton on the middle of the hoist side, with the height of three of the stripes. These flags are often seen in parades and on schoolyards.
I am not sure wether these flags are used in any of the other "bolivarian" countries.
Guillermo T. Aveledo , 1 March 2000