Last modified: 2023-11-18 by bruce berry
Keywords: south africa | university of pretoria |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The University of Pretoria (UP) was established in 1908 as the Pretoria campus of the Johannesburg-based Transvaal University College. It became the University of Pretoria in 1930 and in 1932 it was decided that Afrikaans would become the only medium of instruction. This changed after 1982 when the university transformed into a bilingual, multi-cultural and inclusive institution and in 2019, a new language policy was adopted which discontinued Afrikaans as a language of instruction in favour of English only.
UP is today one of South Africa's largest research educational institutions
with over 55 000 students enrolled in nine faculties and a business school.
Its School of Engineering, Veterinary and Law Faculties are ranked No. 1 in
Bruce Berry, 17 Nov 2023
The flag of the University of Pretoria was
registered at the Bureau of Heraldry under certificate number 772 dated 24
October 1975 with the following description:
"A rectangular flag per fess abaisse Azure and Gules with the armorial shield of the University (namely: Per chevron Gules and Azure, a pall reversed between dexter three bees places 1 and 2, sinister three annulets placed 2 and 1 and in base an ox-wagon, Or), fimbriated Or, in the centre".
Original image sent by Mike Oettle, 14 Feb 2002 and remade by Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin, 20 June 2004
The Arms depicted on
this flag were originally registered under (Bureau of Heraldry) certificate
23/1935:253 dated 23 October 1950 and are also depicted on certificate number
916 dated 28 April 1978 (Source: Some Southern African Flags,
1940-1991, FG Brownell, SAVA Journal 1/92, 01 April 1992).
Bruce Berry, 17 Feb 2002
Sonop (Afrikaans for sunrise) Christian Residence (Sonop Christelike Tehuis)
is a private male residence at the University of Pretoria. It
has "A rectangular flag proportion 2:3, per chevron Gules and Azure, in chief a
sun issuant and in base a descending dove, over all a pall inverted all Or"
which was registered at the Bureau of Heraldry on 26 October 2012 (Government
Gazettes 35625 dated 31 August 2012 and 35808 dated 26 October 2012). The
basic layout, i.e. the colours and the inverted pall, clearly come from the
university's Coat of Arms.
Arthur Radburn, 07 April 2013