Last modified: 2020-07-26 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: general alvear | partido de general alvear | alvear (carlos maría) | denari (melisa victoria) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of General Alvear (15,013 inhabitants in 2010; 3,384 sq. km) is located in the center of the Buenos Aires Province, 220 km from Buenos Aires City. The municipality is made of the town of General Alvear and of the settlements of El Parche, Santa Isabel, J. M. Micheo and Emma, and of Colonia de San Salvador del Valle.
General Alvear is named for General Carlos María de Alvear (Carlos Antonio Joseph Gabino del Ángel de la Guarda Alvear; 1789-1852), Of Andalusian origin, Alvear served in the Spanish army from 1806 to 1811, fighting against the French troops in Talavera, Jevenes and Ciudad Real. In September 1811, he met in London Francisco Miranda, aka "The Precursor", and his friends from the "Sociedad de Caballeros Racionales" who aimed at the independence of the Spanish colonies in South America. Back to Argentina with San Martín, Alvear was enrolled in the new Regiment of Horse Grenadiers.
Quickly involved in politics, Alvear presided the Constituent Assembly established in 1813. Back to the army in June 1813, he was appointed Commander in Chief of the Buenos Aires garrison, which increased his power. Alvear contributed to the centralization of the regime and the appointment of Posadas as the Supreme Director. On 23 June 1814, Alvear commanded the troops that seized Montevideo from the Royalist party; during the Civil War, he forced Artigas to withdrew to Brazil. After Posadas' resignation, the Assembly appointed in January 1815 Alvear as the Supreme Director; overthrown by the revolution of 15 April 1815, he exiled to Brazil and, then, Montevideo, until amnestied in 1822.
Rivadavia appointed him Minister Plenipotentiary in the United Kingdom, and, subsequently, at Bolívar. Eventually appointed Minister of War and Commander of the Army, Alvear restored his good name during the war against Brazil. He won on 20 February 1827 the Battle of Ituzaingó, whose main outcome was the independence of the Eastern Bank (Uruguay). Alvear ended his long, controversial career as Ministry Plenipotentiary in the USA (1838-1852).
Alvear's son, Torcuato, served as the first Mayor of Buenos Aires, while his grandson, Marcelo Torcuato, was President of the Republic in 1922-1928.
General Alvear originates in the establishment of Fortín Esperanza by Decree of 29 December 1854 of the Governor of Buenos Aires. The Decree fulfilled a request sent on 10 December 1853 by estate owners from Saladillo and Las Flores. The fortress was inaugurated in spring 1854, with Lieutenant Colonel Juan Agustín Noguera as its first commander. The village of La Esperanza was established close to the fortress by Decree of 28 August 1855, again upon request of the estate owners. The fortress was decommissioned in 1867 and rebuilt 18 leagues southwards. The municipality of General Alvear was established by Law of 22 July 1869. The first Municipal Commission was appointed by Decree of 25 September 1869; the first Mayor, Enrique Goyena, was elected on 14 November 1890.
Ivan Sache, 31 Dec 2013
The flag of General Alvear is green with a circular emblem in the middle, outlined in red and bordered by a golden wreath. The emblem's field is horizontally divided sky blue-white. The white part is charged with a golden wheat spike and a black bovine.
The flag was unveiled and blessed on 16 November 2013.
Green is the traditional colour of General Alvear. The emblem is a reminiscence of the municipal coat of arms, designed by José C. Bozzi (b. 1933) and adopted on 14 May 1964. On the emblem, the bovine looks towards dexter - and the flag's hoist. The red map of the Buenos Aires Province highlighting the location of General Alvear was dropped, too.
The flag was designed by Melisa Victoria Denari and manufactured by Licha Restagno. It was selected in a public contest devised by Juan Godoy and launched by the municipality on 13 June 2013.
Melisa Victoria Denari, born in La Plata and living in General Alvear for three years, won the 3rd prize in the flag contest organized in Berisso in 2003.
There is another municipality named General Alvear, part of the Mendoza Province, that also adopted a flag in November 2013, most probably by a mere coincidence.
Ivan Sache, 31 Dec 2013
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.