This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

General Obligado Department, Santa Fé Province, Argentina

Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: general obligado department | santa fé province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:


[Municipality of Avellaneda flag] image by Ivan Sache, 15 December 2016

The municipality of Avellaneda (25,995 inhabitants in 2010; 93,700 ha) is located 320 km north-east of Santa Fé, in the General Obligado department.

Avellaneda was established on 18 July 1879 in the Gran Chaco National Territory by Italian colonists coming from Friuli-Venezia Giulia and Trentino. The colonization operation was prescribed by Law No. 817, of Immigration and Colonization, signed on 4 October 1878 by President Nicolás Avellaneda (1837-1885; in office, 1874-1880). The first
colonists settled an area located east of the today's downtown, surrounded by a ditch filled with water aimed at repelling native' raids.
In August 1879, Colonel Manuel Obligado (1838-1896), commissioned by the government, gathered the colonists to prepare a first assault against the natives. In the aftermath of the successful assault, the colony was renamed Avellaneda. A quebracho tree, still standing on the town's central square, points its dry branches upwards, as a symbol of  the call for God's blessing on the town.
Avellaneda was granted the status of "ciudad" by Law No. 3,649, adopted on 31 December 1970 by the Government of Santa Fé. - Municipal website

The flag of Avellaneda is quarterly divided blue-white-white-red, with a white star, a celestial blue star, a red star, and a white star in the respective cantons.

The quartered pattern recall the Spanish-styled, grid plan used to design the town.
The blue quarter represents river Paraná and its local tributary, brook El Rey, which are sources of life for the inhabitants.
The green quarter represents the resource of the soil, the greenness of the squares and streets, as well as the exuberant vegetation of the mountains and islands. Green also represents the permanent concern of
the inhabitants for the protection of environment and the increase of the green areas of the district.
The white and blue stars recall the national flag, while the white and red stars recall the provincial flag.


Ivan Sache, 15 December 2016

The image at the official webpage [] shows that the stars are slightly denser than regular; the suggested color shades are darkest blue (B+++) for the upper hoist canton, lighter blue (B--) for the upper fly star, and green (V) for the lower fly canton.
António Martins-Tuválkin, 16 December 2016

My image is based on the photo of the flag of actual use, not on the graphical representation of the flag used on the town's logo.
Ivan Sache, 20 December 2016

Las Toscas Municipality

[Municipality of Las Toscas flag] image by Ivan Sache, 04 October 2012

The municipality of Las Toscas (10,004 inhabitants in 2001; 372 sq. km) is located in the northwest of the Santa Fe Province, 430 km of Santa Fe City. The town was founded on 23 August 1880.

The flag of Las Toscas is vertically divided red-blue with the municipal emblem in the middle.

The building on the emblem is the mirador of Fort Las Toscas, made of hardwood, which was part of the fortification line established by General Manuel Obligado to watch the border. These fortresses protected the colonies recently established in Florencia, Las Toscas, Villa Ocampo and Las Garzas. Following the set up of the settlement of Las Toscas, the fortress was progressively abandoned. The mirador was recently rebuilt as it was, to be used as a symbol and pride of Las Toscas.

Ivan Sache, 04 October 2012

Other sites:

Nicanor E. Molinas Municipality

[Municipality of Nicanor E. Molinas flag] image by Ivan Sache, 21 January 2015

The district of Nicanor E. Molinas is part of the department of General Obligado, Santa Fe Province.

The district was established in 1995 by Law 11,357. A Law adopted in August 2014 transferred 15 plots from the neighbouring district of La Sarita to Nicanor E. Molinas, which had been misassigned by the original Law.

The district is named for the lawyer, politician and official Nicanor E. Molinas (1823-1892). He took different public offices under the presidencies of Justo José de Urquiza (1854-1860) and Santiago Derqui (1860-1861).

The flag of Nicanor E. Molinas is celestial blue with a red right- angled triangle placed along the hoist and a green right-angled placed along the fly. A golden yellow rising sun with nine golden yellow rays is placed at the bottom of the flag, the two outer rays extending up to the upper corners of the flag and separating the triangles from the main field.

The flag, officially unveiled in the evening of 23 December 2014, was selected among 26 submissions to a public contest. The winning design was submitted by "Los Soñadores", the collective pseudonym of Ignacio Espinosa, Oriana Lugo, Luciano Saravia, Soledad Cian, Nadia Zanel and Rosendo González. Héctor J. Giuliani and the students Sabina Zupel and Alcides Petean were appointed standard bearer

Ivan Sache, 21 January 2015

Other sites:

Reconquista Municipality

[Municipality of Reconquista flag] image by Ivan Sache, 10 Jan 2014

The municipality of Reconquista (63,490 inhabitants in 2001; 537 sq. km) is located in the north-east of the Santa Fe Province. Founded on 27 April 1872 as an agricultural colony by Manuel Obligado and officialized by Provincial Decree on 22 November 1872, Reconquista was granted the status of town on 10 October 1921. Municipal Decree No. 5845/08 prescribes a competition entitled "Flag of the town of Reconquista".

From 10 to 24 October 2008, the importance of the municipal flag will be explained in the education institutes of the town. From 17 to 21 November, a jury will be commissioned in each institute by the Director to select no more than three proposals, to be sent to the municipal administration on 24 November. Another jury will meet between the 25 and 30 November to select no more than three proposals among those submitted by the institutes. Yet another jury, to meet between the 17 and 30 November, will select no more than three proposals among those submitted by the general public. Yet another jury will meet on 11 December to elect the town flag, which will be officially unveiled on 27 April 2009.

Ivan Sache, 24 October 2008

The flag of Reconquista is prescribed by Municipal Ordinance No. 9 of 29 April 2009.

Designed by Mariano Flores, the flag is prescribed as follows:

    "A whole area of rectangular shape, divided in four geometrical figures. A red isosceles triangle in the lower part, whose vertex points straight upwards; two equal polygons with four unequal sides, the one at the right blue and the one at the left green, whose upper limits are the sides of the triangle converging to the panel's center, covered with a white disk of diameter one third of the length of the lesser sides of the flag's general area (left or right lateral side)."

    The design of the flag is a synthesis of the municipality's map, with the thin stripes representing National Roads No. 11 and A-009 (to Puerto Reconquista). These historical ways are not only a reference to a common past but also to the ways of communication to the neighbouring settlements, and, as far as Puerto Reconquista is concerned, to the way to reach our natural beauties.

    Green, at the left, represents not only the aspiration to an ever better town, but also the fields located west of the town.

    Blue, at the right, represents the river, the blue colour being the universal symbol of water, and its significance at the times of the Jaaukanigás.

    Red represents the inhabitants of Reconquista and their blood, which is of the same colour, whatever their differences in social status, borough of residence, and colour of skin.

    The white disk in the center of the flag symbolizes a cotton boll, the cause of the growth of the town; the crossing of the roads is a reminiscence of the nickname "Reconquista, Pearl of North Santa Fe".
Ivan Sache, 10 Jan 2014

Other sites:

Villa Ocampo Municipality

[Municipality of Villa Ocampo flag] image by Ivan Sache, 06 Oct 2012

The municipality of Villa Ocampo (25,101 inhabitants, therefore the 3rd most populous municipality in the General Obligado Department; 819 sq. km) is located in the valley of Paraná, 430 km of Santa Fe City.

Villa Ocampo was originally established as Colonia Ocampo, as part of the colonization plan of the Chaco National Territory. Manuel Ocampo Samanés founded on 30 November 1878 Colonia Ocampo. The concession granted by the government required the settlement of 120 colonists within four years. Originally expected to be located in Puerto San Vicente, on river Paraná, the colony was built upwards following big floods in 1879 and 1879.

At the end of the 19th century, Colonia Ocampo was ranked among the most progressivist colonies in the province; the colony had a significant population nucleus (3,087 inhabitants in 1887) and four schools. Puerto Ocampo was served by a steam tug and several smaller boats. The railway line inaugurated in 1884 was the first in the Chaco National Territory; it linked Puerto San Vicente, and, subsequently, Puerto Ocampo, to Villa Adela. The islands of Paraná required the building of several bridges. The sugar mill "Manolo", inaugurated on 27 July 1884, was the first modern factory set up in Chaco. Villa Ocampo was established by the Decree of 12 April 1962.

The flag of Villa Ocampo is diagonally divided - per bend sinister - green-white, with the municipal coat of arms emblem all over. The coat of arms is oval, framed on its left by a half silver gearing wheel inscribed in red "VILLA OCAMPO: CIUDAD DULCE Y CORDIAL" and on its right by a sugar cane plant. The inner part of the emblem shows a field with white and green furrows under a celeste blue sky. In the middle, a yellow spear charged with a Christian cross counter-coloured yellow and red, placed over two yellow arrows with red and yellow flights, crossed per saltire and tied to the spear by a white ribbon. At the bottom of the emblem, three branches of cotton.

The upper green triangle represents the natural environment and commitment to its preservation. The green and white flag, diagonally divided, represents the main immigration flows in the region. Green represents hope while white represents peace.

The spear and the arrows represents the pre-colonial times; the white ribbon stands for peace.

The furrows represents work and agriculture. United with the celeste blue background of the sky, they represent the commitment of the immigrants aspirating to a better future. Sugar cane and cotton are the main local crops.

The gearing represents industry and the microentrepreneurs of the town.

The cross symbolizes the Christian faith and love for God.

The motto (Villa Ocampo: Sweet and Warmth Town) highlights the sweetness of the main crop and the warmth of the inhabitants, as well as social values to be maintained in the community.

The flag was selected in a public contest, prescribed in 1998 by Municipal Ordinance No. 556. The jury met four times to shortlist eight proposals among the 117 submitted. On 4 November 1998, the jury unanimously awarded the 1st Prize to Marcos Roberto Quevedo Acevedo, the 2nd Prize to Álvaro Lisandro Gaitán, the 3rd Prize to Romina Soledad Gracioli, the 1st Special Mention to Marcela Marcelina Gauna, and Special Mentions to Sofía Ramírez, Lucas Fernández, Julia Belén Zoloaga, and Vanesa Valenzuela.

The final design, based on the 1st Prize, included some elements from the 2nd Prize and the 1st Special Mention, "to achieve a better conceptual clarity"

Ivan Sache, 06 October 2012

Other sites: