Last modified: 2012-08-11 by rob raeside
Keywords: calixa-lavallee | quebec | treble clef | wheat sheaf | building |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Calixa Lavallée was the name of the composer of "O Canada", represented by the
Treble Clef, and words "Ô Canada" in the base of the shield
Dean McGee, 14 August 2006
The Municipality of the Parish of Calixa-Lavallée (533 inhabitants in 2008;
3,242 ha) is located in Montérégie, on the south bank of river St. Lawrence.
Calixa-Lavallée was originally known as the Municipality of the Parish of Sainte-Théodosie, founded on 1 August 1878 by secession from the Parish of Sainte-François-Xavier-de-Verchères. The municipality was renamed Sainte-Théodosie-Calixa-Lavallée in 1946, shortened to Calixa-Lavallée on 7 September 1974. The municipality is named for the musician Calixa Lavallée (1842-1891), born in the eighth generation of a family that had settled in Sainte-Hyacinthe around 1850. Lavallée composed a song, "O Canada", which was performed for the first time on 24 June 1880 in Quebec and proclaimed the national anthem of Canada one century later, on 1 July 1980. Playing the piano, violin, organ and cornet, Lavallée performed and taught in New Orleans, Mexico, South America, Boston and Paris; during his stay in France in 1873-1875, he composed studies for the piano, including "Papillon" (Butterfly), which was added to the class program of the Paris Conservatoire.
- http://www.calixa-lavallee.ca/historique.htm - Municpal website
The arms of Calixa-Lavallée include three distinctive elements:
- a treble clef representing musing, recalling that Calixa Lavallée was borne there. The writing "O CANADA" recalls that Lavallée wrote the national anthem.
- an old house, recalling that Calixa-Lavallée has kept one of the biggest numbers of old houses in Quebec (dated from 1756 to the early 19th century);
- three grain stakes, recalling that agriculture covers 99% of the municipal territory.
- http://www.calixa-lavallee.ca/armoiries.htm - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 28 July 2012
image by Rob Raeside, 15 June 2012
a version with blue bars on the hoist and fly. An image of the municipal shield
The shield seems to be bicolour blue and white on the flag.
Valentin Poposki, 15 June 2012