Last modified: 2022-01-29 by rob raeside
Keywords: amqui | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The flag of Amqui is white with the municipal logo.
The logo of Amqui was adopted in March 2008. Red and blue are bright,
contrasting colours. Red is a symbol of warmth, welcome, celebration,
joy... More specifically, red evokes here the roofed bridges, the autumn
landscapes, a place and a resting time. Blue represents sky during fine weather.
Blue is a symbol of peace, calm, freshness, purity, pride, justice. More
specifically here, blue highlights the omnipresence of water, either
geographically or historically, and reflects our environmental concern.
The bridge connecting two banks expresses solidarity between the citizens and communities of the region. The roofed bridge reflects the concern of Amqui for its heritage and history. The road represented at the entrance of the bridge highlights an idiosyncrasy of the town, located at a crossing and meeting of ways of communication, rivers, trails, and citizens.
The name "Amqui", of native origin, is integrated into the logo; the shape of the letters recalls the rounded mountains, fields
and valley. The blue stripes represent the hydrographic network, a significant feature of the local environment, especially Matapédia River.
http://www.ville.amqui.qc.ca/information/signature-municipale.html - Municipal website
The emblematic Beauséjour bridge, originally erected in 1932 in Saint-Odile-sur-Rimouski on brook Brûlé, was closed to traffic in 1979 and moved to the neighbouring field in 1990 for the sake of security. Preserved from demolition, the bridge was restored in 2003 and transferred in 2005 in the municipal park of Amqui.
The roofed bridge of Anse-Saint-Jean was built in 1931 over the Matapédia River. Restored in the 1970, the bridge was listed for demolition in October 1990; following local protest, the bridge was maintained and restored in 1993.
Ivan Sache, 27 March 2017