This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pincourt, Quebec (Canada)


Last modified: 2021-03-27 by rob raeside
Keywords: pincourt | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Pincourt flag] image by Masao Okazaki, 6 February 2021

See also:


The town of Pincourt (14,558 inhabitants in 2018; 711 ha) is one of the four municipalities located on Île Perrot, an island west of the island of Montreal. The town has a bilingual status, recognized by the Charte de la langue française.

Pincourt, then part of the domain of Isle Perault, was mentioned for the first time in a document dated 5 March 1776. AS soon as 1800, landowners sold plots lining river Ouataouais to merchants, smiths and weavers. In the 19th century, economic activity increased thanks to trade with the inhabitants of Vaudreuil and Dorion.
Around 1855, a group of isolated houses emerged in the aftermath of the building of the railway. In the early 20th century, several people came to the village for vacation; starting in 1940, some of them definitively settled there.
The municipality of the village of Pincourt was established in 1949, separating from the municipal corporation of Île Perrot; it was granted the status of town in 1960.

The origin of the name Pincourt is a matter of conjecture. Some say the short pines ("pins courts") were used as landmarks by the island's first inhabitants and voyagers. Other say that the area was named for Paul Desroches, nicknamed Pincourt, a trapper hired by François-Marie Perrot and Antoine de Brucy in their fur trade business.
Town website
Ivan Sache, 13 February 2021


A discussion about this flag was recently started by Luc Vartan Baronian in the FOTW Facebook group:, where the flag was in use in 2004.

I found a recent photo of the flag:
Masao Okazaki, 6 February 2021

The arms of Pincourt, designed by anthropologist Pierre-Jacques Ratio, are "Quarterly per saltire azure gules and argent in chief three slipped maple leaves vert in base three pines of the same on the flanks a fleur-delis or and a leopard passant of the same. The shield surmounted by the Latin motto 'Omnia Pro Omnibus' (Everything for all /French, Tout pour tous).

The maple leaves are the proper symbol of Upper and Lower Canada. The three pines recall the origin of the town's name. The fleur-de-lis recalls the population's French origin, while the leopard recalls the connection with Great Britain.
Town website
Ivan Sache, 13 February 2021