This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Saint-Anicet, Quebec (Canada)


Last modified: 2019-08-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: saint-anicet | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Saint-Anicet flag] image by Ivan Sache, 9 July 2019
See also:

Description of the flag

The parish municipality of Saint-Anicet (2,626 inhabitants in 2016; 13,625 ha) is located on the southern shore of Lac Saint-François, 100 km of Montreal and close to the border with the USA.

Saint-Anicet was settled in 1795 by Acadian colonists as a mission, named for St. Anicetus (elected 11th Pope in 155 and allegedly martyred in 166). The settlement was incorporated to Godmanchester canton, established on 10 May 1811, as was the village of La Guerre, established by Roman Catholic Irish colonists. The village was named for François Benoît de La Guerre and not for the war (French, "guerre") fought against the Iroquois. The parish of Saint-Anicet-de-Godmanchester was canonically erected on 26 May 1827, covering part of the canton. Its name was subsequently shortened to Saint-Anicet by the inhabitants. Established on 8 June 1823, the parish municipality of Saint-Anicet was abolished on 1 September 1847, to be reinstated on 1 July 1855.

Saint-Anicet is the birth place of Jules Léger (1913-1980), 21st Governor General of Canada (1974-1979), and junior brother of Paul-Émile Léger (1904-1991), Archbishop of Montreal (1950-1968) and Cardinal-Priest of Santa Maria degli Angeli (1953), one of the most active contributors to Vatican II Council.
Municipal website

The flag of Saint-Anicet, inaugurated on 7 April 1986, is in proportions 1:2, with the municipal coat of arms in the center, surrounded left and right by four horizontal stripes, in respective proportions 2:2:3:4, from top to bottom, blue, red, green, and blue, separated from each other and from the coat of arms by thin white stripes, and with a white border on top and bottom.

The coat of arms features the green skyline of the village under a red sun and above white and blue waves. The name of the municipality is written in blue letter in chief. The shield has a green border in the upper part, no border in the wavy base.

The two emblems represent the village (by the St. Joan of Arc chapel and the St. Anicet church, erected in 1887), agriculture, joy of living, and the three nations that founded the village: the Irish, the Scots, and the French.

Ivan Sache, 9 July 2019