This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Yamachiche, Quebec (Canada)

Maskinongé RCM

Last modified: 2019-12-08 by rob raeside
Keywords: yamachiche | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[flag of Yamachiche] image by Olivier Touzeau, 6 November 2019
See also:

The Municipality

The municipality of Yamachiche (2,800 inhabitants, 106.9 km²)
Merger in 1987 with parish municipality of Sainte-Anne-d'Yamachiche.
Olivier Touzeau, 6 November 2019

Yamachiche was first permanently settled in 1703 on the Grosbois domain, acquired in 1672 from Jean Talon by Pierre Boucher, Governor of Trois-Rivières. Seven households were registered in 1705.
The parish of Sainte-Anne d'Yamachiche was founded in 1722 and canonically erected in 1832. The parish municipality of Saint-Anne d'Yamachiche was established in 1855, in the aftermath of the suppression of the feudal system. The village municipality seceded in 1887, the parish and village municipalities being reunited only in 1987.
Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 10 November 2019


White with coat-of-arms.
Olivier Touzeau
, 6 November 2019

The coat of arms of Yamachiche, designed by the local historian J.-Alide Pellerin [author of "Yamachiche et son histoire"], was adopted on 6 March 1978 by the Municipal Council.
"Gules masoned sable a pall azure charged with seven stars cantoned in chief with a crown inscribed 'S.A.' sable dexter with a G-clef sinister with a garb of wheat all or. The shield surmounted by a fleur-de-lis or surrounded by palmetto loops of the same. The shield supported by two branches of oak vert in saltire. Beneath the shield the motto sable 'HARMONIE et FIERTÉ' [Harmony and Pride)".

The blue pall forms a "Y" for "Yamachiche": it also recalls the geographical location of the village, at the junction of the Grande Rivière Yamachiche and the Petite Rivière Yamachiche, which forms River Yamachiche that joins the Saint-Lawrence in Lake Saint-Pierre.
The "Y" is charged with seven yellow stars that represent "historical and cultural institutions as well as prominent people" left unidentified by the designer.
Above the "Y" the yellow crown inscribed with "SA" is a tribute to the parish's patron saint, St. Ann., whose miraculous statue is still kept in the parish cemetery.
The shield is paved with bricks to recall that the soil is composed of 2-3 feet of earth surmounting 180 feet of clay. The extracted clay was used to make bricks and pottery; the local soil is one of the most fertile in Quebec.
The G-clef in the lower left quarter recalls the cantors and musicians who contributed to the big religious festivals for which the village was once famous.

The shield is surmounted by ornaments that recall the local architects-sculptors, especially Milette and Héroux, who erected 117 monumental churches in the Canada and northern United States and the wealthy houses of the downtown.
The shield is surrounded by branches of oak that recall the giant oaks, nut tree and pines for which Pierre Boucher named his domain Grosbois (Big Wood).
Histoire du Québec

St. Ann was proclaimed patron saint of Yamachiche in 1711. The extremely popular, yearly celebration of the saint went out of the control of the religious authorities, so that Bishop of Quebec Pierre Denaut (1797-1806) banned the festival, deemed a matter of "disorder and scandal", in 1801. Archbishop Joseph Signay (1833-1850) eventually lifted the ban in 1846.
Municipal website

Georges-Félix Héroux (1833-1901) and his brother Joseph were students and later, collaborators, of the sculptors Alexis Milette (1793-1869) and his brothers Benoni and Milette, established in Yamachiche. After a stay in Italy, the Héroux brothers established a flourishing business in Yamachiche, acting as sculptors, architects and public contractors; they hired up to 40 employees. The Héroux built or restored more than 1000 churches in Quebec and New England, and decorated several houses, for instance the Red Brick Houses Lining in Yamachiche.
Georges-Félix Héroux served as the Mayor of the newly established village municipality of Yamachiche from 1887 to 1909.
Répertoire du patrimoine culturel du Québec
Ivan Sache, 10 November 2019