Last modified: 2023-08-05 by martin karner
Keywords: frauenfeld | thurgau |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
In white, a rising, yellow armored, red lion, held on a yellow chain by a red, yellow-trimmed woman.
The oldest city seal from 1331 shows a lion and a woman back to back. With the Julius Banner of 1515, the current depiction – lion and woman turned to the right – prevailed. The lion commemorates the Habsburgs, who inherited the rule from the Kyburgs. The woman stands for the Virgin Mary, the patroness of the Reichenau monastery. The colours red and white come from the coat of arms of the Reichenau monastery. The woman (German: Frau) makes the flag canting.
[Oldest existing banner of Frauenfeld (15th c.). Location: Historical Museum Thurgau, Frauenfeld (source)]
In black a white trident.
Adoption of the canting emblem of the Lords of Gerlikon, servants of the Reichenau Abbey. Ger is an old word for javelin.
Since 1998 Gerlikon is part of Frauenfeld.