This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Velden City (Germany)

Stadt Velden, Landkreis Nürnberger Land, Bayern

Last modified: 2021-09-18 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: velden | demi-eagle | bendy(red-white) | fish |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Velden city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Sep 2021
See also:

Velden City

Velden Banner

It is a blue-white-red vertical tricolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Sep 2021

Velden Coat of Arms

Shield parted per fess; above parted per pale, at dexter Or a demi-eagle Sable couped per pale, at sinister bendy of six of Gules and Argent,; beneath Gules a fish Argent.
Meaning:
The first seal was made between 1353, when the market town became a possession of Böhmen and 1376, when Velden gained city rights. It displayed on a shield parted per pale the Bohemian double queued lion above and a fish beneath. This seal was kept after 1401, when the city was acquired by the Wittelsbach kin. The fish should express the riches of fish in the Pegnitz River. The city was acquired by the Free Imperial City of Nürnberg in 1506. Since then the lion was replaced by the lesser arms of Nürnberg.
Source: Stadler 1968, p.83
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Sep 2021

The banner was approved on 24 March 1988 either by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Mittelfranken or adopted by the local council. At the same time the arms from 1506 were confirmed.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 11 Sep 2021


back to Nürnberger Land cities and municipalities click here