Last modified: 2014-02-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: santa brígida |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Santa Brígida, as seen on the Town Hall - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 October 2011
The flag of Santa Brígida is diagaonlly divided per bend green-white, with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The coat of arms of Santa Brígida is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 26 July 1955 by the Spanish Government, already published on 6 July 1955 in the Spanish official gazette.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Vert a cross or, 2. Vert a Canarian palm tree proper, a bordure or. The shield orled by a rosary or. Beneath the shield a scroll or inscribed with the motto "POR ESPAÑA VENCIMOS EL HOLANDÉS" [For Spain and Faith We Defeated the Dutch] in letters sable.
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), the whole composition of the arms recalls the victory obtained in 1599 against the Dutch troops commanded by Pieter van der Does, who had previously seized the town of Las Palmas. The battle took place on the today's municipal territory. According to the legend, the victory was obtained by intercession of St. Mary of the Rosary.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 October 2011