This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Prignac-et-Marcamps Municipality, Gironde, France)

Last modified: 2024-04-19 by olivier touzeau
Keywords: gironde | prignac-et-marcamps |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Prignac-et-Marcamps - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 3 May 2022

See also:

Presentation of Prignac-et-Marcamps

Prignac-et-Marcamps (1,420 inhabitants in 2021; 966 ha) is a commune in the Gironde department.

The Grotte des Fées (Cave of the Fairies) of Prignac-et-Marcamps, discovered in 1873, is a prehistoric site presenting several stages of the Magdalenian. Dating from the Upper Palaeolithic and inhabited around 40,000 years before the present, the cave of Pair-non-Pair was discovered in 1881 and has been listed as a historical monument since 1900. It notably contains an engraving of a mammoth. The Roc de Marcamps, below the Grotte des Fées, is also a Middle Magdalenian site, known for having delivered many bone shuttles.

The commune is the result of the merger of three parishes: Prignac (on the road to Blaye), Marcamps (further north, on the hillsides above the Moron river valley), Cazelle (further south, descending towards the Dordogne). The three churches still exist. To this must be added the old chapel of the priory of Lurzine, not far from the town of Prignac. During the Revolution, the parish of Saint-Pierre de Prignac formed the commune of Prignac and its annex, Saint-Michel de Marcamps, formed the commune of Marcamps. The parish of Saint-Félix de Cazelles and its annex, Sainte-Quitterie de Magrigne, form the commune of Cazelles. In the year XII (1804), the town of Cazelles was attached to that of Prignac which became Prignac-et-Cazelles. On February 27, 1965, the commune of Marcamps was attached to that of Prignac-et-Cazelles which became Prignac-et-Marcamps.

Olivier Touzeau, 3 May 2022

Flag of Prignac-et-Marcamps

The arms of the commune are blazoned:
Argent a mammoth contourned proper armed of the field on a terrace vert, surmounting the inscription PMC in capital letters Argent set 2 and 1, and surmounted by the inscription « PRIGNAC et MARCAMPS » Sable.

The flag is white the coat of arms: photo (2018), photo (2019), photo (2021).

Olivier Touzeau, 3 May 2022