Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: nievre | fourchambault | torch | hammers: 2 | war cross | bee (yellow) | power hammer | cogwheel (grey) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Fourchambault - Image by Pascal Vagnat, 8 February 2002
The municipality of Fourchambault (4,711 inhabitants in 2007; 455 ha) is located 15 km north-west of Nevers. The town is made of the two boroughs of La Brasserie (The Brewery) and La Fonderie (The Ironworks).
Fourchambault was mentioned for the first time in 1404 as
"Frechambaut", subsequently written "Frechambault" (1449) and
"Forchambault" (1568), and eventually "Fourchambault" (1597).
The name of the town might have been derived from the Germanic words frisk ("fresh", "recent") and bald ("happy", "proud"). A more probable etymology, "Four Archambault", refers to a village oven (four banal) owned by a lord Archambault.
In 1789, there was nothing in Fourchambault but a watermill
located on the right bank of river Loire and owned by the Bishop of
Nevers. On 1 April 1821, the building of the ironworks started under
the guidance of engineer Georges Dufaut, appointed by the
manufacturer Louis Boigues. Ironworks were put into service on 15
October 1822. Smelting works were built nearby the ironworks in 1823.
Several workers from Wales and Staffordshire were hired because of
their skills in ironworking.
In 1836, a suspension bridge was built over the river Loire. The six-span bridge had a length of 400 m and a width of 5.50 m. Compagnie du Pont de Fourchambault was set up to operate the bridge. Toll was 10 centimes for a person, 20 c. for a loaded horse, 15 c. for a non-loaded horse, 15 c. for a loaded donkey, 12.5 c. for a non-loaded donkey, 10 c. for a pig and 40 c. for a cart, without extra fee for the carter. The inhabitants of Fourchambault repeatedly complained about the toll and the queues it generated, so that on 13 July 1884, the departements of Nièvre and Cher, with the support of the towns of Nevers and Fourchambault purchased the bridge and suppressed the toll. Blown up in 1940 by the French Army to slow down the progress of the German Army, the bridge was rebuilt in March 1950.
On 5 May 1855, the municipality of Fourchambault was established by seccession of the former Fourchambault section from the municipality of Garchizy. There were already 5,380 inhabitants in Fourchambault in 1856. On 7 July 1862, Emperor Napoléon III and Empress Eugénie de Montijo visited the ironworks.
Source: Municipal website (no longer online)
Ivan Sache, 8 February 2002
The municipal flag of Fourchambault is white with the municipal coat of arms placed in the middle of the flag and the name of the town written in black below the coat of arms.
The shield is blue and shows a silver power hammer placed on a red terrace. A red lingot is placed on the anvil. The power hammer is flanked with two affronted golden lions holding a golden torch with a red flame. Through the terrace is placed a silver wave over a flying golden bee. The shield is placed over a golden smelting furnace with a red flame and above a silver cogwheel whose upper part is hidden by the shield. Two silver hammers with a golden handle flank the shield in oblique. The War Cross 1939-1945 is placed below the shield over the cog wheel.
The arms were adopted by the Municipal Council on 20 April 1956. They symbolize the industrial history of the town. The bee symbolizes work.
Pascal Vagnat, 8 February 2002