This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nièvre (Department, France)

Last modified: 2019-05-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: nievre | magny-cours |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]

Flag of Nièvre - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 28 April 2019


See also:


Administrative data

Code: 58
Region: Bourgogne-Franche-Comté (Bourgogne until 2014)
Traditional provinces: Nivernais, Orléanais, Bourgogne
Bordering departments: Allier, Cher, Côte-d'Or, Loiret, Saône-et-Loire, Yonne

Area: 6,817 km2
Population (2016): 209,161 inhabitants

Préfecture: Nevers
Sous-préfectures: Château-Chinon, Clamecy, Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire
Subdivisions: 4 arrondissements, 17 cantons, 309 municipalities.

The department is named after river Nièvre (53 km), a tributary to the Loire.

Ivan Sache, 15 April 2019


Flag of Nièvre

In 2015, General Councils were renamed to Departmental Councils. The Departmental Council modified its logo, replacing the words "Conseil général de la Nièvre" by the words "Conseil départemental". Blue flags with the logo (photo, photo, photo) are used in the seat of the Departmental Council.
A new logo was adopted at the end of 2018.

Olivier Touzeau, 28 April 2019


Flag of the former General Council

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of the former General Council of Nièvre, two versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 28 April 2019

In 2011, the General Council adopted a new logo, used on white flags (photo) and, subsequently, on blue flags (photo, , photo).

Olivier Touzeau, 28 April 2019

[Flag]         [Flag]

Older flags of the General Council of Nièvre - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 28 April 2019, & Ivan Sache, 25 November 2001, respectively

The previous flag of the General Council of Nièvre was white with the Council's logo in the middle.
The logo is a parallelogram divided black-green by an ascending sinuous white road, forming a stylized "N". CONSEIL GÉNÉRAL DE LA NIÈVRE is written in black letters below. On the amended logo, the upper part is brown instead of black and the writing, in italics, is placed above the parallelogram, CONSEIL GÉNÉRAL in black letters in a white cartouche, DE LA NIÈVRE in white letter on the top of the brown panel.

Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 20 June 2010


Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours

[Flag]

Flag of the Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 29 April 2019

The Circuit of Nevers Magny-Cours, a motor racing circuit located near the towns of Magny-Cours and Nevers, staged the Formula One French Grand Prix from 1991 to 2008, and the 24-hour Bol d'Or motorcycle endurance events from 2000 to 2014. It has hosted the Superbike World Championship in 1991 and annually since 2003, and several additional international championships: World Sportscar Championship, World Touring Car Championship, FIA GT Championship, World Series by Renault and Formula 3 Euroseries.
Built in 1960 by Jean Bernigaud, the circuit was home to the prestigious Winfield racing school with drivers as François Cevert (1944-1973), Jacques Laffite (b. 1943), and Didier Pironi (1952-1987). In the 1980s the track fell into disrepair and was not used for international motor racing until it was purchased by the General Council of Nièvre in 1986.

The flag of the circuit is blue with its logo.

Olivier Touzeau, 29 April 2019