This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Urzy (Municipality, Nièvre, France)

Last modified: 2022-02-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: urzy |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Urzy - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 13 June 2021

See also:

Presentation of Urzy

The municipality of Urzy (1,746 inhabitants in 2007; 2,341 ha) is located 10 km north-east of Nevers.

Urey was granted during the reign of Charlemagne to the bishops of Nevers, who ruled it until the Frenchc Revolution. They Vivier wheat mill they had built in year 1000 is the only one still active on river Nièvre. The parish of Urzy was probably created at this time; a religious building was built near the right bank of the Nièvre and a few houses constituted the early village of Urzy. In the 12th century, a church dedicated to St. Denis replaced the first chapel, to be partly rebuilt in 1495 by Philibert de la Platière, lord of Bordes and owner of a castle that defended the village and the the valley.
At the end of the 17th century, the young bishop of Nevers, Édouard Vallot, son of a famous doctor of Louis XIV, accustomed to the splendor of the court of Versailles, considered his feudal residence of Prémery gloomy and uncomfortable; he therefore built between 1675 and 1680 in Urzy, on the left bank of the Nièvre, a pleasant residence near the church, which appears on the coat of arms of the bishops of Nevers.

Ivan Sache, 13 June 2021

Flag of Urzy

The flag of Urzy (photo) is white with the municipal logo, where river Nièvre is symbolized by the blue wavy stripes.

Ivan Sache, 13 June 2021