This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Condé-sur-l'Escaut (Municipality, Nord, France)

Last modified: 2022-06-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: condé-sur-l'escaut |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Condé-sur-l'Escaut - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 8 December 2020

See also:

Presentation of Condé-sur-l'Escaut

The municipality of Condé-sur-l'Escaut (9,515 inhabitants in 2019; 1,840 ha) is located 15 km north-east of Valenciennes.

Condé is named for the Celtic word condate, " a confluence", here of rivers Haine and Scheldt (French, Escaut). Originally occupied by Nervians, this strategic style was the location of a Roman military camp, later a Frankish settlement. Vikings also were established there temporarily, holding the town from 655 until 889.
Much disputed, the area changed hands many times during the Middle Ages and Renaissance periods. In 1676 Louis XIV seized the town, which was eventually incorporated to France in 1678 with the Treaty of Nijmegen. While Vauban improved its fortifications, Condé was captured by Prince Josias of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld after a 92-day siege in 1793. Forces of the Seventh Coalition captured it from Napoleon Bonaparte in 1815. The town was returned to French control three years later.
Coal mining was active in Condé-sur-l'Escaut until 1989.

Olivier Touzeau, 8 December 2020

Flag of Condé-sur-l'Escaut

The flag of Condé-sur-l'Escaut (photo) is horizontally divided (2:1:2) red-yellow-red. This is a banner of the municipal arms, "Or a fess gules".
According to Th. Leuridan (Armorial des communes du département du Nord, 1909), these arms are shown on seals and the three heraldic maps of Hainaut, and were still used at the time. The Armorial Général, however, gives "Vert a fess argent" (image).

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 11 June 2022