This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Téteghem-Coudekerque-Village (Municipality, Nord, France)

Last modified: 2021-01-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: téteghem-coudekerque-village |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Téteghem-Coudekerque-Village - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 20 November 2020

See also:

Presentation of Téteghem-Coudekerque-Village

The municipality of Téteghem-Coudekerque-Village (8,311 inhabitants in 2018; 3,044 ha; municipal website), located south-east of Dunkirk, was established on 1 January 2016 as the merger of the former municipalities of Téteghem and Coudekerque-Village.

Téteghem was probably Tatto's estate (Flemish, hem). First mentioned in the 1Oth-11th centuries, the village depended on the domain of Bergues.
In the 19th century, the digging of the Veurne and Moeres canals initiated the industrial development of the town. A sugar mill, a jute mill, a distillery, brickyards and chicory processing workshops were established.
The parish church, built as a hallekerque (hall church) in the 15th century was destroyed in 1940, as was the Town Hall built in 1870. Both buildings were rebuilt in the 1960s.
Téteghem lost access to the sea after the establishment of the municipality of Rosendaël and the subsequent incorporation of a part of its territory to Uxem.

Coudekerque was first mentioned, as Koudekerque (Flemish, Cold Church) in records of the domain of Bergues issued in 1087. The village was originally a parish established between 1022 and 1067 around the St. Michael's church by Baldwin V, Count of Flanders. On 14 December 1789, the Branche borough was made the municipality of Coudekerque-Branche, while the remaining part was renamed to Coudekerque-Village.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 20 November 2020

Flag of Téteghem-Coudekerque-Village

The flag of Téteghem-Coudekerque-Village is white with the municipal emblem.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 20 November 2020

Former municipality of Téteghem


Flag of Téteghem - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 15 November 2020

The flag of Téteghem (photo, photo, photo) was white with the municipal coat of arms, "Checky argent and azure a bend gules", surmounted by the municipaity's name in Times New Roman capital letters, and surmounting the motto in Mistral font, “La ville à la campagne” (“The city in the countryside”).
The arms were assigned by Th. Leuridan (Armorial des communes du département du Nord, 1909) as the arms of the feudal lineage of the same name.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 20 November 2020