Last modified: 2012-05-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: haut-rhin | sausheim | crescent (red) | gril (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Sausheim - Image by Ivan Sache, 28 November 2011
The municipality of Sausheim (5,262 inhabitants in 2008; 1,691 ha) is located 10 km north-east of Mulhouse.
Sausheim was mentioned for the first time in 829, when goods located
in Sowninasheim were granted to the abbey of Murbach. Later on, the
village was part of the domain of Landser, incorporated to the
Austrian Empire. During the Six Deniers War fought (and lost) by local
nobles against Mulhouse, Sausheim was looted (1467) and burned down
(1468) by the Mulhouse militia.
Destroyed at 75% during the Second World War, Sausheim was liberated on 6 February 1945. In the 1960s, the village became a small town following the set up of the Peugeot car factory; population increased from 1,600 in 1952 to 2,200 in 1959.
Sausheim is the birth place of the cyclist Roger Hassenforder (b. 1930), who won eight stages in the Tour de France and wore the Yellow Jersey for four days. Anti-conformist, Hassenforder was very popular for his jokes and extravaganza. Once retired, he opened a hotel- restaurant in Kaysersberg, still owned by the Hassenforder family.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 28 November 2011
The flag of Sausheim (photo in the newspaper L'Alsace, Mulhouse edition, 3 February 2002) is white with the municipal arms and, below, the name of the municipality written in black capital letters.
The arms of Sausheim are "Argent a gril sable ensigned with a crescent gules fesswise". According to the Armorial des Communes du Haut-Rhin (2000), these arms, known since the late 17th century, are shown on the Armorial Général. The moon was the emblem of Sausheim, while the gril recalls its patron saint, St. Lawrence.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 28 November 2011