This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Meyzieu (Municipality, Grand Lyon, France)

Last modified: 2022-03-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: meyzieu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Meyzieu, current and former versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 21 September 2021

See also:

Presentation of Meyzieu

The municipality of Meyzieu (34,640 inhabitants in 2019; 2,301 ha) is located north-east of Lyon.

Meyzieu, according to the local tradition, originates in the domain of Bourgon (aka Bazeu, Barbeu, Bayonge, Bornue, Bo, Baurige...) located in the southern part of the present-day's municipal territory. The Gallo-Roman site of La Dent, excavated in 1979 and 1995, yielded a horse-headed key. Aerial photos revealed traces of a possible theater.
In the 12th century, the Meyzieu family settled on a safer site under the protection of the lords of Chandieu. Guillaume de Martel was awarded the domain in 1420 by Charles VI. The domain was then transferred to the Tardes family. François de Tardes welcomed in 1548 king Henri II, on his way back from Piedmont, who signed in the castle the edict inaugurating his reign. Charles IX and his mother, Catherine de Medici, were the hoists of Louis de Tardes in 1564. The domains of Meyzieu and Chassieu was acquired in 1740 by Louis II de Leusse (1643-1678), 1st Marquis de Leusse; his grand-son Louis IV (1737-1794) and his daughter-in-law, Jeanne-Antoinette de Laube, settled the castle. Louis IV was guillotined on 26 December 1793 in Lyon.
Meyzieu, originally Messiacus / Messacus, is most probably named for a Gallo-Roman lord. The town was subsequently known as Meysieu (1649), Mezieu / Meizieu (1669) and Mezieux / Meyzieux (1743). Cassini map (18th century) lists Meizieux. The name of the municipality was eventually fixed to Meyzieu on 29 March 1965.
[Groupe d'Études Historiques de la Contrée de Meyzieu]

Ivan Sache, 25 September 2021

Flag of Meyzieu

The flag of Meyzieu (photo, photo, photo), is white with the municipal logo adopted in 2017. The logo is made of a stylized rendition of the municipal arms, "Gules a lion or [argent on the logo] armed and langued azure a chief or a dolphin azure finned barbed scaled and eared gules [details omitted on the logo] surrounded by two Maltese crosslets argent" (where the lion is Argent and the dolphin all Azure without details), and the name of the municipality in a Sans Serif font. The previous flag (photo, photo) was white a with a more standarsd rendition of the arms (with or represented in gold/light brown, the dolphin totally azure, and the end of the lion's tail azure), and the name of the municipality in Georgia font.
The lion comes from the arms of the lords of Chandieu, first lords of Meyzieu. In chief, the dolphin recalls that the town was once part of Dauphiné. The two white Maltese crosses come from the arms of the Leusse, last lords of Meyzieu.
[Municipal website (archived)]

Olivier Touzeau Ivan Sache, 25 September 2021

Cercle de la Voile de Lyon-Meyzieu


Burgee of CVLM - Image by Ivan Sache, 28 April 2018

CVLM (website) was founded in 1951, as CVL, by Henri Amel, the designer of the Mistral sailboat, and affiliated in 1956 to the French Sailing Federation. The club is based in Meyzieu, close to a lake made by the Canal de Jonage.
Members of CVL Bernard Moret and René Morch won the 505 world championship in 1967.

The burgee of CVLM is red with a yellow triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the red letters CVLM.

[Flag]         [Burgee]

Flag and burgee of CVL - Images by Ivan Sache, 28 April 2018

The CVL Yearbook 1959-1960 (image) describes the club's flag and burgee as follows:

The flag of CVL shall be rectangular, in proportions 1:1.25. It is red with a golden triangle along the hoist charged with the red letters "CVL". The flag of CVL shall be hoisted only on the club's premises or by people officially appointed by the club as its representatives.
The burgee of CVL shall be triangular, in proportions 1:2. Its colors and design are the same as for the flag. Only the club members are allowed to hoist it.
The club burgee shall always be hoisted on a staff atop the main-mast.


Flag of CVL - Image by Ivan Sache, 28 April 2018

A photo taken in 2015 shows the flag of the club as red with a yellow triangle charged with the black letters "CVL".

Ivan Sache, 28 April 2018