Last modified: 2016-06-29 by rob raeside
Keywords: braemar | grampian |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Darrell Neuman, 14 March 2010
The flag of the Village of Braemar, Scotland features the town’s coat of arms
on a white background which was formally presented at a ceremony held on Sunday,
August 11, 2002.
The coat of arms are described as follows:
The heraldic shield remembers events and associations important to the 1000 year history of the village. The two lions’ heads facing each other recall the Royal connection from the time of King Malcolm Canmore when he held a Highland Games here some nine centuries ago, to the continuing link today with Majesty the Queen. The three white Jacobite roses recall the raising of the standard of the Old Pretender King James VIII in 1715 on the Braes of Mar (at a site where the Invercauld Arms Hotel now stands). The Scots Pine in the base symbolizes Braemar as central to a major portion of the old Caledonian Forest.
Shapes and colours within the shield have their own place. Blue signifies the Dee and the colour of the sky, while the pointed chevron symbolizes the mountainous region. Gold maintains the Royal connection, while the red is that of Scotland’s lion rampant. The shield is surmounted by a gold crown of pine cones and thistle leaves, a form of crown which denotes a community. The motto Mak Siccar (make sure or make certain), was selected by the Lord Lyon from suggestions by the local community.
The blazon (the heraldic description of the arms reads: Or between a chevron Azure charged with three roses Argent barbed and seeded Proper, in chief two lions’ heads respectant erased Gules and in base an ancient Caledonian pine also Gules.
Darrell Neuman, 14 March 2010