Last modified: 2015-08-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: tripoli | levidi | tegea |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Tripoli, left, current flag, right, former flag - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 10 June 2014
The municipality of Tripoli (47,254 inhabitants in 2011, 14,810 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities of Falanthos (Φάλανθος, 1,310 inh.), Korythio (Κορύθιο, 2,613 inh.), Levidi (Λεβίδι, 4,131 inh.), Mantineia (Μαντίνεια, 3,5110 inh.), Skyritida (Σκιρίτιδα, 2,248 inh.), Tegea (Τεγέα, 3,858 inh.), Tripoli (47,254 inh.), and Valtetsi (Βαλτέτσι, 1,842 inh.).
Tripoli, formerly known as Tripolis (Τρίπολις), was founded in the 14th century. After the Morean War, Tripoli was
under Venitian influence during 16 years, and became Ottoman in 1715. From
1770, under the Ottoman name of Tripoliçe, it served as one of the Ottoman administrative centers in the Peloponnese.
Tripolis was one of the main targets of the Greek insurgents in the Greek War of Independence, who stormed it on 17 October 1821, following the bloody siege of Tripolitsa. Ibrahim Pasha retook the city on June 22, 1825, after it had been abandoned by the Greeks. Before his evacuation of Peloponnese early 1828, he destroyed the city and tore down its walls.
Olivier Touzeau, 10 June 2014
The flag of Tripoli (photos), adopted in 2008, is white with the full emblem of the municipality, supporterss added in grayscale.
Beforehand, the flag (Kokkonis website) was a Greek cross (white on blue field), with the head of Theodoros Kolokotronis on a white disk in the middle, and in golden yellow letters the words "ΔΗΜΟΣ ΤΡΙΠΟΛΕΩΣ" (above) and "Ο ΓΕΡΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΜΟΡΙΑ"[The Old Man of Morea], the nickname of Theodoros Kolokotronis (below). Kolokotronis was the most famous hero of the Greek War of Independence.
Olivier Touzeau & Paraskevas Renesis, 10 June 2014
Flag of Levidi - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 1 May 2013
Levidi, on the northeastern slope of the Mainalo mountains, was the site of several battles during the Greek War of Independence from the Ottoman Empire. It is too the birthplace of former Prime Minister Alexandros Papanastasiou (18761936), in office 12 March-24 July 1924 and 26 May-5 June 1932. During his first government as Prime Minister, Greece was proclaimed a Republic on 25 March 1924. The issue was submitted to a plebiscite with the voters approving the abolition of the monarchy on 13 April 1924.
The flag of Levidi (Kokkonis website) was white with an orange border and a blue and white ribbon from the top of the flag, on which is the seal of the municipality.
The seal has a portrait of Alexandros Papanastasiou with, on the circle around the portrait, his name and dates of birth an death in white on blue, and the name of the municipality in blue on orange: Αλέξανδρος Παπαναστασίου (1876 - 1936) / ΔΗΜΟΣ ΛΕΒΙΔΙΟΥ.
Olivier Touzeau, 1 May 2013
Flag of Tegea - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 15 January 2015
Ancient Tegea was an important religious center of ancient Greece,
containing the Temple of Athena Alea. In the Archaic period the nine
villages that underlie Tegea banded together in a synoecism to form one
city. Tegea was listed by Homer as one of the cities that contributed ships
and men for the Achaean assault on Troy.
Tegea struggled against Spartan hegemony in Arcadia and was forced into some form of collaboration by 530 BC. In the 4th century Tegea joined the Arcadian League and struggled to free itself from Sparta. The Temple of Athena Alea burned in 394 BC and was magnificently rebuilt. The city retained civic life under the Roman Empire; Tegea survived being sacked by the Goths in 395-396 and flourished under Byzantine and Frankish rule. In the Middle Ages, the town was known as Nikli and the seat of a barony of the Principality of Achaea.
The municipality of Tegea had its seat in Stadio (Στάδιον, 546 inh.). Its flag (Kokkonis website) was white with the municipal emblem.
Olivier Touzeau, 15 January 2015