This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nagydem (Veszprem, Hungary)

Nagydém köszég

Last modified: 2014-04-19 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: veszprem | papa | nagydem | mill wheel | cross | rose | sword | laurel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




by István Molnár, 8 December 2000



See also:


Overview

Nagydém is a village in Veszprém County in Hungary near to Town of Pápa (25 km north-east) in the Little Hungarian Plains. The village has got 445 inhabitants (1990 census), nearly all of them are Hungarians. Neighbouring settlements are: Sokorópátka, Lovászpatona, Bakonysag, Pápateszér, Bakonytamási and Románd villages. The territory of the village is inhabited from the Bronze Age. The first mention is from 1332 as "DYM". In the 15th century there were two villages: Kisdém with noble settlers, Nagydém with servents. At the time of the Turkish wars the settlement was devostated and in 1761 resettled. The landlord of the settlement was the Festetich Family and some members of the lower nobility. In 1910 Nagydém was a village in the Pápa district of Veszprém County. Number of inhabitants in 1910: 978; 978 (100,0%) Hungarian by mother tongue, 720 (73,6%) Roman Catholic, 128 (13,1%) Lutheran, 57 (5,8%) Jew and 73 (7,5%) other by religion. The famous celebrity of the village is Dániel Ihász (1813-1881), colonel of the Hungarian Army in 1848-1849, commander of the Hungarian Legion in Italy and later colonel of the Italian Army (1859-1861).
Ratio of the flag: 2:3.
István Molnár, 8 December 2000


Coat of Arms


by István Molnár, 8 December 2000

Description of the Coat of Arms: The colours of the shield relate to the Hungarian national colours. In the red field there is a mill-wheel relates to the formerly water-mills, the gold cross relates to the Roman Catholic inhabitants, the Luther's Rose relates to the Lutheran inhabitants, in the green field there is the old seal of the village. Above the shield there is a silver sword and a laurel wreath relate to the famous celebrity of the settlement.
István Molnár, 8 December 2000