Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: megiddo | regional council | mo'atza ezorit megiddo | lion (green) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 30th October 1958
Regional Council Megiddo is situated in the east Karmel Mounts
area, SE of Haifa. Named after the
important ancient city of Megiddo, whose remains are in its area.
Est. 1945. Pop. 9,600 in 13 settlements. The flag is green with a
black emblem. The municipal emblem was published in the official
gazette (Rashumot), 'Publications Gazette' section (Yalkut
HaPirsumim), YP 631, 30 October 1958.
Sources: author's own observation, 5 October 2001.
Dov Gutterman, 17 October 2001
Megiddo is one of the first Regional Councils and established
already during the Mandate era in 1945. It govern 13 settlements
(El'yakim, Giv'at Oz, Gal'ed, Daliah, HaZore'a, Yoqneam (Moshava),
Megiddo, Midrakh Oz, Mishmar HaEmeq (first settlement in 1926),
Ein HaEmeq, Ein HaShofet, Ramot Menashe, Ramat HaShofet)
The emblem show a lion taken from an ancient seal found in the excavation of Tel Megiddo (Megiddo Mound - the same place that gave name to the Armageddon...).
This seal with the inscription "LeShama'a Eved Yerov'am" (To Sama'a , slave of Yerovam) is dated to the 8th century B.C. and now kept at Israel Museum in Jerusalem. Photo of the original seal at <www.daat.ac.il> The seal also appear on stamp
Dov Gutterman, 24 April 2005