Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: nowe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The name is derived from the medieval Novo Castro (latin).
First mentioned in 1266.
1282 - arrival of the Franciscans.
1301 - conquered by the Teutonic Knights, Nowe is granted the city rights (Chelm Law).
1465 - taken from the Teutonic Knights, the town becomes the part of Royal Prussia.
1655 - damaged by the Swedes.
1772 - goes to the Prussian zone of partition.
1920 - returned to Poland.
1939 - annexed to the III Reich.
1945 - (February 19) taken by the Soviet Red Army, expulsion of Germans and extermination of Polish, actively patriotic elements, by the communist Polish UB (Security Office) and Soviet NKVD (precursor of KGB).
New Arms and flag adopted on May 27, 2008 (resolution # XX/115/2008),
designed by Mr.Lech-Tadeusz Karczewski ( a graphic artist) with the historical
justification by Dr.Krzysztof Mikulski.
It's still awaiting a formal approval of the Heraldic Commission in Warsaw and the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Administration.
There is also an elaborate standard adopted.
Chrystian Kretowicz, 5 Dec 2008