Last modified: 2023-08-05 by valentin poposki
Keywords: eagle: double-headed (black) | canton |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Image by António Martins, 20 Jun 2009
On this page:
According to Smith [smi75b], the white-blue-red tricolor with a canton of the imperial arms was introduced by Imperial decree on 19 November 1914. It replaced the black-orange-white tricolor, which had been the civil flag since 1858, and also the plain white-blue-red tricolor.
The 1914 civil flag disappeared in 1917 when the monarchy was abolished. The plain white-blue-red tricolor then became the nation’s de facto national flag. However, it was never officially adopted as such - Kerensky’s government had too much else on its mind!
Tom Gregg, 21 Mar 1999