This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Anamur (District Municipality, Turkey)

Last modified: 2017-10-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: anamur |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Anamur - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 23 September 2017

See also:

Presentation of Anamur

he municipality of Anamur (62,610 inhabitants in 2013, 35,082 in the town of Anamur; 144,786 ha) is located 150 km south-west of Mersin.

Ivan Sache, 23 September 2017

Flag of Anamur

The flag of Anamur (photo) is white with the municipality's emblem in the center. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".

The emblem features Mamure castle, situated next to the site of the antique city of Anemurium. The city prospered from the 4th century B.C. until the mid 7th century when it was abandoned due to increasing incursions of Arab forces.
The first fortification at this site may well have been a Roman fort, as archeological research showed a 3rd century Roman settlement at the site of the present castle.
There also probably was already a castle here in 1191, as Philip II, King of France, is said to have halted here on his way back to France from the Third Crusade.
In 1225 the castle at this site was taken by the Seljuks from the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia, who had briefly controlled the area. In 1284, when it was again briefly under Armenian control, it came into the possession of the Lusignan kingdom of Cyprus, who used it as a bridgehead on the Anatolian mainland.
Between 1300 and 1308 Mamure castle was conquered by the Karamanids under Bedreddin Mahmud Bey. They completely rebuilt the castle and built the small mosque inside the castle. From then on the castle was named Mamure, meaning "prosperous". In 1363 the castle was again retaken by the Cypriots. In 1496 the castle was seized by the Ottoman Empire who, during the 15th and 16th century, carried out smaller restorations. In 1878, after the British occupied Cyprus, the Ottomans reinforced Mamure Castle. It remained garrisoned by the Ottomans until the end of World War I.

Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 23 September 2017